Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Default What do you do for a living?

So I was just wondering, what everyone here does for a living? I just wanted to see what supports your reptile habits and what not. I'll go first, I'm only 19, but my current job is at a Hospital. I'm a housekeeper, but it pays good and I don't do very much, so it works for now. I'm hoping to get into a field with herps, but who knows how that will work out.
    -Art-

I work with herps in the lowest possible form- Pet Store employee
    it doesnt pay much & can suck at times, but as long as i get to work with herps it's alright

Yeah, I used to, but the money I get at the hospital lets me have the herps I want and helps them be happy. Herps happy = Me happy . I'd like to become a full time breeder and be like a wildlife biologist/herpetologist, but I know my chances are slim. But hey, I'm still going to try my hardest :wink: .
    -Art-

I too, work in a pet store. Well, not for long. I work in a golf store too, and the pay is sooooooo much higher so I'm stocking up on stuff before my 50% off wears off when I leave...

I'm in school for physical therapy, and I too am 19. Oh, and a amateur skier, but I cant get paid for that... damn amateur statis :(

Orthopedic PA, work in OR with a surgeon 2 days per week and see patients 2.5 days per week. It funds my addiction well, but i have 12 lizards in my house and lanai. 4 monitors, 1 tegu, 3 beardies, 2 desert iguanas, 1 veiled chameleon, 1 Mali uro. yikes! and for more wasted free time, i started a colony of silkworms since i found some mulberry trees nearby.

I work in a gym as a fitness tech. It doesn't pay much, but it's extra pay for us since my husband has the primary job now. As soon as we move I'm hoping to get another snake or two, but there's no room right now.

The great thing about where I work is that I meet a lot of new people- probably chat with close to 100 women a day, one of which used to own a pet store and has a house just for her rescued birds. But we talk daily and she's able to give me a lot of tips and information (not to mention some great stories) about reptiles and birds.

Admittedly, my job is less work than play.
    Jenn.

I own and operate a computer service business catering to the local commercial market as well as some residential customers.

I also volunteer a couple days a week at a great local petstore. Skowhegan Family Pet Connection. It's a great way to meet locals with an interest in reptiles and help some people learn proper herp husbandry. It's a family run pet store that pride themselves on educating before a sale rather than just making a quick buck at the expense of an animals life.

Rick

that's the way all pet stores should be...
    -Art-

I agree. I always felt so sad to see the little dart frogs when I used to go to the exotic pet store here :cry: (which I no longer go to because of their ethics).

It looks like a nice store, Rick. I think that would be a great type of place to volunteer at.
    Jenn.

I am a universal EPA cerified HVAC Tech, working for a private real estate company, and do periodic maintenance on ranch homes, townhomes, apartments, and offices to include Central A/C, wall units, refrigeration, furnaces, boilers, water heaters, and appliances.

When not doing scheduled maintenance, I sit my *** at home "with pay", and do service calls when they arise...
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"