Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Snakes

A quick whizaround on Google brings up many snake keepers that use repticarpet and other carpet-esque products, and very few that have anything bad to say about it. I dont have any snakes and never have, but the biggest problems I can foresee with it will be the washing/cleaning etc - best to have a couple of pieces handy for when the dirty piece is being cleaned. I know in the case of many lizards its not wise, as they can become obssessed with biting at loose bits of fibre, and can lose nails etc in it - obviously this isnt the case with snakes.

I agree on the humidity issue though; if your snakes need a humid environment then there are better things to use to hold it in.

Just the views of a bystander

Just a quick note on mites - they will stubbornly adhere to ANY substrate and cage furniture, making frequent disinfecting of all cage apparatus necessary in case of infestation.

My wife has a White's Tree Frog and we have tried dozens of substrates and the green "pet carpet" works great for the frog. There are hides, wood, vines, plants, etc in there as well, but the base is the carpet. A couple pieces are good to have on hand, as stated, for cleaning reasons, but the carpet does fine for us. Keep in mind a frog does need a high humidity and I mist the tank once every day, normally in the evening and I was pleasantly surprized but the humidity stays up quite well.

I am unsure of any pros and cons of using the carpet for snakes, but I have seen many people use it for snakes and small lizards.

Rick
    theTegu.com

I'm not a big fan of reptile carpets but some people do use it and like it alot. I believe it can be used successfully with some precautions. It does need to be washed and disinfected well because it can harbor dirt and bacteria. The edges should be melted to prevent fraying as this can cause a danger to both lizards and snakes. Multiple hides should be provided. I have used reptile carpet in the past but it was always the felt type, not the plastic indoor/outdoor type.

If they were my cornsnakes I'd have them on paper towel, cypress, or aspen. The one looks like an amelanistic to me, the other one kinda looks like a caramel. I'll have to upload a couple of pics of my cornsnakes. I'm feeling inspired.
    Mid Michigan Reptile Rescue and Rehabilitation
    www.michiganreptilerescue.org

Look for us on Petfinder.com!

there was one breeder that said the reson they did not use it was they had a reptile ranch tipe thing and ppl came to look and learn about animals there but the otheres used the carbet till there snakes were 1 year and then switched them to the mulch and im 13 (if my mom finds out i told im dead) I do alot of research about my animals befor i buy them and my mom and dad wont let me get an animal if i know verry little about them. and i use a under tank heater so i cant use paper towle. and i will switch them when i think there big enough for mulch trust me john i may be young but that does not stop my knowledge

sara
    0.2.0 German Shepherds *Khoda* & *Keara*
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 normal corn *seismo*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*

Default Thats cool...

Trust me I'm not trying to fight over the internet as that gets nothing solved. The herp community needs to stick together rather then jump on everyones case. I guess it'll work fine, but there are better options. Good luck with them!
    John

ok john
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*

I have used the repti-carpet in the past and really the only problems i've found with it is it can be a pain to clean and it seems to take forever to dry. If you have a backup piece to put in while the other is soaking then that problem is easily solved.

Repti-carpet (and paper) are great for new keeper (IMO) because you don't have to worry about some of the other problems associated with loose substrate like ingestion. It is also harder to "slack off" on cleaning because it justs sits there right on top staring you right in the face unlike loose substrates where it can be buried. Is these were lizards then I might have a few more things to say about it

Charlene

yah i have 3 so i just take it out when theres poop on it the snakes seem to like it im gunna find some ont to probe them wish me luck
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*