Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi all-my first tegu

Default Hi all-my first tegu

After keeping beardies i have just bought my first tegu, cant wait to get him home, any suggestions how i can best get acquainted with him as he has been in a pet shop for the first 4 months of his life, he ain't been handled that much and hes a bit snappy.

Cheers

Congratulations and welcome. I'm going to be in the same situation in July. I've been keeping beardies and I'm getting another one in a week or so. Then in July I'm getting a tegu from Bert at agamainternational. I can't wait.

Do you have any pictures? Is he/she colombian or argentine?
    0.1 Argentine Black and White Tegu (Dante)
    1.0 Paraguayan Red Tegu (Azshara)
    0.1 Ball Python [100% Het. Albino] (Persephone)

Florida Death Metal - SledgegrindeR
    www.myspace.com/sledgegrinder

Welcome to theTegu - Is it a Colombian or an Argentine ? - Here is article to check out...

http://www.thetegu.com/contentid-17.html
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

varnyard Guest

I am late. But welcome to the site!! You are in the right place to get all of the needed information about your tegu. :wink: These guys/girls are awesome!!!

Default Hes an Argentinian Black and white

He is an Argentinean black and white; I hear that these are the best to handle. That’s why I bought him, I had a chance of a Columbian gold but heard that these are very hard to tame down.

You made the right choice :wink:
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

varnyard Guest

Great tegus!!! I would say they are my favorite!

My tegu was in a pet store for even longer - probably closer to 8 months or so, and wasnt particularly used to being picked up. We just took things easy with him, letting him see our hands coming at him and letting him scent them etc before handling him. He calmed down pretty quickly really; they should do, so long as you dont do anything to make them more wary of you.

Default Scent

Just a little question it may seem mad but I have heard that in order to get you lizard to quickly pick up your scent you should put a pair of socks you have worn for a day or so somewhere in the viv. Has anyone heard this or do you think it may be fallacy.

Another question, my apiologies for picking you brains, i'm eager to become acquainted with the species, the pitfalls ect. I have a rather large viv 5.75x3.75 ft, 3ft tall, i don't want to stress the little fella by putting in a large viv, from you experience if i fill the viv with furnishings will it be sufficient to stop him from becoming stressed.

I think so yes. as long as your temps and humidity stay straight. If he gets stressed you can just section off a side for him