Thread: Easiest Insect to Breed?

Default Easiest Insect to Breed?

By your experience... what would you guys say is the easiest insect to breed? I've been trying superworms... but I've been having some problems.. probably due to the fact that in order to do everything right, I'd have to buy a heat source for my beetles.. which I havn't.

Any input?
    Visit www.reptileontario.com

- Scott

0.1.0 Argentine Black & White Tegu (Koopa)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Cowboy)
    1.0.0 Pixie Frog (Chubudha)
    0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole
    0.1.0 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Szandora)
    1.1.0 Cats (Jimi & Rivers)
    And a

regular mealworms are by far the easiest, throw in 1000 or so in a plastic storage container with about 2-3 inches of oatmeal (i also mix in flukers cricket feed a bit of tropical flake food and some calci/vitamin powder) and that's pretty much all you have to do, they will pupate into beetles (which i use as occasional feeders too though have a lot of shell) once there's beetles i throw in a few slices of carrots 1-2 times a week for moisture , they'll mate and lay on their own and in a few weeks you'll ahve hundreds-thousands of baby worms, the only thing that can really slow down a colony is temps being excessivly cold and moisture (screen top or plenty of holes for ventilation) you can separate the pupua and beetles or just leave em, I used to separate them but it just got to be a hassle, hoppe that helped

Roaches are the easiest to breed from my experience. I keep a colony of now around 800-1000 blatta lateralis for my leos and monitor. Just keep them warm and full of food and you'll have too many before you know it. Larger roaches are probably better feeders for tegus.

Unfortunately, the majority of common feeders (mealies, supers, roaches, silks) are all going to need supplemental heat if your room temperature is below 82ish. Roaches are very easy to breed, but are tropical, and require temperatures in the low to mid 90s. A very popular heat source for feeder insects seems to be that flex watt stuff. You can order/read about it at http://www.beanfarm.com/cgi-bin/stor...off&ppinc=heat

About the only feeder insect that I can think of off the top of my head that would probably breed at more normal room temperatures would be UGH crickets lol

Hope this helps.
    Kris, Herps they're not just a hobby, they're a way of life!

even crickets will breed at a higher rate if kept warmer, plus they arent as easy as roaches or mealworms, the chirping doesnt help either and they are far more stinky : ^ P mealworms will breed at room temperatures but it will take much longer i keep all my insects on a heated rack to assure optimum reproduction rates