Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you feed your tegus?

Default What do you feed your tegus?

This seems like a pretty slow forum. How about listing off various types of feeders people give to their tegus? So far on the site people have talked about the obvious crix and worms, mice and rats.. but there's more and more talk about fish and crawfish and crab and even scorpions now. I say we should try to list off all the different foods we feed our tegus, so that we can all add more variety to their diets.
    Visit www.reptileontario.com

- Scott

0.1.0 Argentine Black & White Tegu (Koopa)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Cowboy)
    1.0.0 Pixie Frog (Chubudha)
    0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole
    0.1.0 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Szandora)
    1.1.0 Cats (Jimi & Rivers)
    And a

Well i use to feed my tegu alot of rats and mice but i have stoped that to one every few weeks. I have fed mine a variety of:
    Fish, ground turkey, eggs, mice/rats, chicken, squash, spring mix salad, mangos, papya, grapes, bannana, kiwi, tomatoes, black berries, blue berries, melon, rasberries, strawberries, squash, potatoe, zuccini.
    He seems to like all of this only if its blended up to mush. I gave my tegu a small piece of hot dog once. I would like to feed snails but i dont know what kind people talk about.

I thought about earth worms. I've read, that they are very easy to breed, and nutritious - full of protein. However I have concerns about where to get the basic stock from. They can be infested with bacterias and parasites. Maybe from shop, as a fishing bait?

Fishing bait could be sketchy.. most worms in tackle shops are bought off of worm pickers who pay farmers and stuff to let them pick worms out of their fields. My dad is a farmer, and he used to get a free 2-4 every time the worm pickers came by.

- Scott

0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole
    And a

i feed my 11 month old couple with:
    (in disorder)pinkies once a week, meatballs,chicken, quail eggs,banana,cherries,locusts,butterflies,crickets, nightcrawlers,snails (with and without shell) that i get pesticide free,melon,raspberries,strawberries,dandelion,trou t,pineapple,pear,clover,
    alfaalfa,persimmon (kaki),mango,kiwi.... i'm sure i forgot something, but that's about what i use to feed them. i'm introducing now veggies ad fruit,so i mix all with some stuff they like and it seems they like it.

Does your tegu eat all that on it's own, or do you have to mix it with something? Koopa only eats fruits and veggies when I mix it in his turkey.

- Scott

0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole
    And a

Only one of my Tegu's "the elder", will eat fruit by itself and only strawberries so far, however something's always in the mix for both :wink:
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

crimson loves strawberrys. almost as much as his rats. he will eat half a banana in one bite its pretty funny to see

Ya my tegu eats every fruit stright up but when it comes to vegies they have to be ground up in to a mixture.

my couple eats fruits and veg only if mixed, but i think it's because they're still young..