Thread: Why do the crickets smell?

Default Why do the crickets smell?

Hello I was allways wondering why do the crickets have a really bad smell to them? I allways clean out thire cage and no matter what I do they allways smell. And man I think that I am going to die here if I do not get rid of that smell.

I don't keep alot of crickets on hand for that very reason - I just pick up like 60 every 3 days for my Ameiva's, clean out the dead ones daily, clean out the leftover gutload daily, and clean the large cricket keeper daily by transferring them to another keeper - I think the smell has alot to do with crap and bacteria build up...
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Albino"
    1.1.0 Ball Python 100% "Het Albino"
    1.2.0 Ball Python "Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Cinnamon Pastel"
    1.0.0 Ball Python "Spider"
    0.2.0 Ball Python "Normal"

I used to buy crickets by the box of 1000. The smell is horrible and the best you can do is keep it dry in there and make sure to water them in a way to not get moisture all over by the walking through it.

I switched to roaches and now I but a few dozen crickets now and then as a treat. The roaches completely remove my need for crickets. Most roaches have low to no odor!!

I like Discoids. The non-infesting, non-climbing, non-flying, non-jumping type. The tegus seem to like them too.. Mmmm Good.. Sounds like potatoe chips being eatn.. crunch, crunch!

Rick

Default Crickets

Oh okay cuz I will have to try other things like silk worms and meal worms. And maybe some roaches too I hope that my babys will eat them. :wink: :wink:

Im guessing the amount they excrete doesn't help either. I had the same problem.. its a horrible smell I know.