View Poll Results: Do tegus brumate or hibernate?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • brumate

3 27.27%
  • hibernate

6 54.55%
  • both

2 18.18%
  • neither

0 0%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Difference between brumation and hibernation

Umm, that is a bizarre post above Diegar. Like I said, I want it to stop, so I don't think it's really worth deigning to that level. I never mentioned anyone's name except Tupinambis's, and even that's 'cause he's figured out I like him by this point in our relationship.

Diegar, I dunno if I agree they need a new term. Hibernation is characterised by a lowered metabolic rate and lower activity level, which is exactly what the tegus are doing... they're certainly not dead to the world like some of the little rodents, but a state of unconsciousness is not stated or implied in a definition of hibernation I've seen.

Why invent a new term?

They certainly seem consistent with what a lot of my North american snakes do. I keep a species that fits the definition of brumation. My Japanese ratsnakes (Elaphe climacophora) become less active and refuse all food (especially the male, he tends to go for months) in the winter months of their native area, despite the fact that they get little natural light in their room and if anything my temps go up in the winter in order to combat the extremely cold climate I live in. When they hatched, they refused food until their next year - the climate they come from means that hatching time is almost winter, so they are fat little sausages of yolk to get them through a cold winter until food is available next spring. No tegu I've seen really does that - they seem more like the north american rats which go down if you manipulate their climate, but really are quite happy staying metabolically active their whole lives. Doesn't that sound like most of your tegus who are kept indoors?

Besides, it's hard enough to learn latin and greek roots without starting to add in Spanish... it's bad enough when epithets pick up human names

Okay.. for starters.. i am not a negative person, and was not mentioning Tupinambis for anything other than to quote him. I respect him tremendously, even if, as you stated, "he is a pain the ***".

Hibernation does not suit my purposes for this. My Tegu are eating. My temps are consistant as they are kept indoors, but they have access to outdoor light. Their cage keeps basking and UVB for 14 hours a day, yet they are still reacting to a seasonal change. This is not strictly due to a change in climate. They are reacting to a time of year, independent of core temperature.

My last post was in jest, but why not add spanish to the mix. I am not asking that people use my term, only stating that i should. I am not creating this term to be used as a blanket for all herps, but for my Tegus. No harm in that for you, since they are the "boring end of squamates". But seriously, i wasn't trying to stir up emotions, but more trying to give a good chuckle at the end of a long and emotional thread.
    The Jay

they seem more like the north american rats which go down if you manipulate their climate, but really are quite happy staying metabolically active their whole lives.
    I am a brand new tegu owner here but to the above statement, I must protest. My tegu is 10 weeks old. Her temperatures, light cycle, cage set up, diet, etc. has remained the same since the day she was hatched. I got her from a friend so I was able to keep everything exactly the same. I have not manipulated her environment at all and guess what? SHE'S HIBERNATING! I do not purposely cycle my bearded dragon or ball python either and they hibernate/brumate/cycle every year, as well.

As far as Diegar's post being bizarre, I think he was trying to lighten the mood while offering some facts and more info to "chew" on.
    Kris, Herps they're not just a hobby, they're a way of life!

Quote Originally Posted by Diegar
    Okay.. for starters.. i am not a negative person, and was not mentioning Tupinambis for anything other than to quote him. I respect him tremendously, even if, as you stated, "he is a pain the ***".

Hibernation does not suit my purposes for this. My Tegu are eating. My temps are consistant as they are kept indoors, but they have access to outdoor light. Their cage keeps basking and UVB for 14 hours a day, yet they are still reacting to a seasonal change. This is not strictly due to a change in climate. They are reacting to a time of year, independent of core temperature.
    it's an internal clock..and it happens in my hoe every year.
    That's why brumate seemed to have fit it so much better
    Yours,
    NiColeRuSSell

"I'm gonna do what I should've done in the first place. I'll find her, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her... until she likes me again."
    -Spike

Quote Originally Posted by nicolerussell
    it's an internal clock..and it happens in my hoe every year.
    That's why brumate seemed to have fit it so much better
    Exactly! Though who knows.. heh
    The Jay

Quote Originally Posted by worleygurl
    they seem more like the north american rats which go down if you manipulate their climate, but really are quite happy staying metabolically active their whole lives.
    I am a brand new tegu owner here but to the above statement, I must protest. My tegu is 10 weeks old. Her temperatures, light cycle, cage set up, diet, etc. has remained the same since the day she was hatched. I got her from a friend so I was able to keep everything exactly the same. I have not manipulated her environment at all and guess what? SHE'S HIBERNATING! I do not purposely cycle my bearded dragon or ball python either and they hibernate/brumate/cycle every year, as well.

As far as Diegar's post being bizarre, I think he was trying to lighten the mood while offering some facts and more info to "chew" on.
    I appreciated the lightness...made me want to join hands and sing a brady bunch song
    Yours,
    NiColeRuSSell

"I'm gonna do what I should've done in the first place. I'll find her, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her... until she likes me again."
    -Spike

Never, ever watched Brady Bunch
    I didn't mean to object to Diegar, I was referring to above him. I'm trying to read something very different at the same time as read this forum... I guess it's not going well.

I guess I should have followed this thread closer from the beginning because I have lost track of who believes it should be called hibernation and who thinks it should be called brumate.

I call it hibernation for lack of a better term. The terms fits close enough for me, and the term brumate is NOT a term the average person knows. This means everytime I make a simple statement such as "My tegus are brumating" I then have to go into a 10 minute discussion on what 'brumate" is. So, even if "Brumate" was a better term for what tegus do, I would still use "Hibernate" for the ease of the general public.

Rick