Thread: red tail hawks?

Default red tail hawks?

does any one know some good hand raising sites? i am gunna get a hawk out of a nest cus the mom is having problems finding food she has gone to eating bugs! i hope that her 2 babys are still alive i want to get 1 out to help her a bit you know then on drop off day il bring it to the wildlife sancuary

tegu_girl0
    0.2.0 German Shepherds *Khoda* & *Keara*
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 normal corn *seismo*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*

NOT a good idea! I know there are laws against it and permits are needed to keep birds of prey! Leave her alone...if you think she's having problems notify the fish and game and let them know.
    John

oveusley thats y i asked here 1st! anyways il keep an eye on her if i think she needs help il put one of my evil mice in a cage with no top for her you can deleat this if u want
    0.2.0 German Shepherds *Khoda* & *Keara*
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 normal corn *seismo*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*

That's fine we can leave it here...leaving a mouse in an open container would be neat...get pics!!!
    John

I love red tail hawks. Beautiful birds. I would leave the babies alone, but "letting some mice free" shouldn't hurt as long as they are safe for her to eat, which I am sure they are. I'd also like to see pics if you do this!!
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Damien and Miss Priss)
    0.1.0 Crested Geckos (Priscilla)
    2.6.0 Leopard Gecko (Tonka, Rhaco, Hermine, Talia, Kalypso, Serendipity, Faith, and Sprinkles)
    0.0.1 Henkeli Leaf Tail (Houdini)
    0.1.0 Chacoan Black and White Tegu on her w

Quote Originally Posted by John
    NOT a good idea! I know there are laws against it and permits are needed to keep birds of prey! Leave her alone...if you think she's having problems notify the fish and game and let them know.
    There are laws to keeping birds of prey. I'm a falconer and had to go through quite a bit to get my permits. You'll be doing the bird no favors, and if caught won't be doing yourself any favors. The truth about hawks, and birds of prey is that most immature birds, and birds under a year old die off naturally and from natural causes. Leave them alone, unless you are properly instructed, permitted, and supervised. If you have a problem contact your local Fish and Wildlife office.

Default Re: red tail hawks?

Quote Originally Posted by tegu_girl0
    does any one know some good hand raising sites? i am gunna get a hawk out of a nest cus the mom is having problems finding food she has gone to eating bugs! i hope that her 2 babys are still alive i want to get 1 out to help her a bit you know then on drop off day il bring it to the wildlife sancuary

tegu_girl0
    Redtails eat insects as well as snakes, rodents, birds, and are opportunistic. Especially in Florida. Up to 70 % of all wild raptors die before their first year. There are roughly over a million red tailed hawks in North America. Established pairs we leave alone, and please don't touch the babies, as you could cause the bird to imprint on you, and human imprint redtails are terrible for everyone! Leave the birds alone.

Quote Originally Posted by John
    That's fine we can leave it here...leaving a mouse in an open container would be neat...get pics!!!
    Don't offer the birds mice. This is a technique that falconers use called 'wilding hacking'. Don't try it because it is teaching the birds that plastic containers are food providing. Your best bet is to let nature take its course. Leave them alone. Again, if you have any problems, please contact the Fish and Wildlife office closest to you. Dealing with wild raptors takes a lot of experience, and human contact has to be done in a knowing way, not emotional.

Here's my hooded(Anglo Indian hood) red tail.