Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Breeding tegus

Before the interpretation posts, I enjoyed reading your breeding post Varnyard, I live in Argentina so I know many of the breeders here: "El gringo" (I bought mine here), "Saurios", "Las tres iguanas" (of Roberto Fracchia in Córdoba), etc. I like yours better tho, cause here they use them for food, creams and do wallets and boots with their skin, just a little amoung go for pet stores, specially the ones exported.

I only have something to add and its that in the wild not all the tegus made their own nest, in fact they are lazy for that so they use to get one already done from nature or other animals specially "vizcachas" (couldnt find the translation for this word, they are little bigger than hares). And I've seen them, looking for a "vizcacha" and finding a lay tegu in the cave! :P

I have a question too, I dont know anything about breeding and since I have just discovered that my 10 years old tegu is a female in fact I got a doubt. I've never seen an egg from her, and a friend of mine with a iguana gets up to 40 eggs every year without any male. So is this normal for my tegu and this only happens to iguanas or this means my tegu is egg-binding or something like that? Thanks in advance!

This is normal for tegus. Most tegus will only breed after some sort of dormancy period (typically hibernation) and females will not produce eggs if they are not bred. Iguanas do not hibernate and females usually will produce eggs without ever having been mated.

Thanks for the answer tupinambis, glad to know she is ok then.

Hello
    I buy tegus fron Ron out of San Diego
    He has been breeding tegus for over 30 years
    He had females lay good eggs at less then a year old and not hibernated last year
    The babies all turned out healthy
    Nobody knows everything and fighting over the issue is a waste of both of your time and defeats the purpose of this forum
    I wish you all could just work together instead of fighting over who is the bigger dog on the porch
    I am friends with most of the tegu breeders in California
    We all try to help one another
    There is plenty of pie for everybody
    We are all learning still and should work together instead of having ego trips or fighting over who is the #1 tegu expert
    No need to fight guys
    Say what you want but keep it real.
    Best Regards
    JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC
    I wish you all could just work together instead of fighting over who is the bigger dog on the porch
    That is one of the greatest quotes anywhere. Not just for tegus, but for life.