Thread: Feeding

Default Feeding

I have a juvenille Arg B+W Tegu (aprox 17 inches) who is currently getting over a problem shed and since then his appetite has went way down. He won't eat any crickets but will eat pinkies. I guess my question is can you overfeed them on pinkies. I don't want to make them his staple food but its the only thing he eats right now. Also if feeding him pinkies isn't a problem how many a day should he get? I'm use to feeding him crickets and I just keep throwing them in until he gets full.

Last question I know you don't need to roll the pink in calcium because there packed full of it naturally but what about his other vitamin supplement. Should I coat the mouse lightly in that or does the mouse contain enough vitamins and minerals on its own??

Pinkies are fine without dusting with suppliments. Many people will tell you if you do dust them you will actually overdo it.

When feeding pinkies give your tegu one, if it eats the pinky readily, feed it another, if it eats it readily, feed it another, you get where this is going. At 17 inches it will probably take about 4 and then will be slower to grab one up. Once it has had 'enough' it will be slower to grab food and will probably walk off to rest in the basking light. Each tegu is different, even if they are the same size. This is generally the best method for making sure your tegu gets enough without over doing it.

Are you feeding live pinkies or pre-killed? Have you tried scenting crickets with the pinkies? (take a crickets and rub it all over a pinky) You might be able to trick your tegu into eatting the crix again. Try scenting the cricket without dusting it, just until your tegu starts eating them again, then resume dusting.

Rick

Yes the pinkies are pre-killed. I think the problem with the crickets is that he's having trouble chasing them. As I mentioned in my previous post he was having trouble shedding so he's still pretty wrapped up, and a bit stiff from it so I don't think he likes hunting right now. He will still take a cricket if its held in front of him (I know hand feeding is really bad but I was worried he hadn't ate any in a couple days...only did it for one crix though b/c his aim is horrible "nurses finger").

You could freeze some crickets if you prefer. It only takes about 30 seconds under the basking light to thaw the crix and they are ready to feed your tegu. (I do this for a rescued golden gecko who refuses to eat them any other way)

Rick

Default Thanks

Thats a great idea I don't really enjoy "squishing" them first. But would freezing them cause them to lose some of their nutritional value?? Thanks for all your help.

I am unsure if there has ever been an actual study done, but we freeze our mice with no issue. We also freeze our human food (steak, chops, corn, beans, etc) without serious ramifications to the nutritional value. I believe that freezing crickets, thawing them naturally, dusting them, then feeding to your tegu will be fine. As I pointed out prior, I have done this for my gecko who will not eat live crickets. (For some reason live crix in the geckos enclosure stresses the gecko)

The goal isn't to make frozen crix a staple diet of your tegu anyways is it? It's just a way to hopefully get your tegu eating crix until it will eat live crix again.

I hope this was helpful information.

Rick

Very good point on it not being a permanent fix. You would think that their be somewhat of an effect on them, due to the fact that proteins denature ect., but it would be worthwhile to do a study on it. Maybe i'll do a directed study on something like that next year and get back to you on it. AGain thanks for all your help I will try giving him the frozen/thawed crixs.