Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: you trying to catch wild reptiles.

I think keeping the stuff you have caught is cruel tbh.
    Pet shop reptiles have a natural instinct.. yes.. but they have never seen the outside world, especially if they were born in the pet shop.

Whereas wild caught stuff have seen it all, and will probably go into states of depression being kept in a small box in the corner of your house.. its not very nice.. and they aint dumb.. I'm sure they will know that they will never get out there again.. no matter how many times they try.

Just my thoughts on the subject y'know =)

I don't think most reptiles have such a high emotional capability. Even tegus, as smart as they are for a reptile, probably don't. Sure, CB reptiles are more docile, but WC won't care about the distinction between outside and in a tank if the setup is proper.

I have a couple Banded Geckos that were wild caught, and so far, both look to be doing pretty well. I've never seen depression in a reptile. Maybe a high level of stress with some, but not depression.

I could imagine large species like iguanas could get stressed and depressed if WC, I mean.. they're not the friendlyist reptile CB, nevermind WC..

Plus, If i ever did catch them, I wouldnt keep them amongst other reptiles.. for infections and what have yah.

Listen budd............

I've done over 17 years of field collecting all over the united states. I've worked with conservation departments doing population studies, I've spent weeks in swamps, I've waded through alligator snapper infested bogs and I've handled most of the venomous snakes that u.s.a has to offer. I'm not a rich guy that has money to go to other countries, but believe me, I would if I could. Everyone that does responsible field herping deserves respect. It's not how many animals you've handled, or where in the world you've found them. It's how you treated the animals, how you treated the enviroment, and if the only way you take them home is on film.
    1.0 African Rock Python
    0.1 Savu Python
    1.2 Cornsnakes
    0.0.1 Diadem Ratsnake
    0.0.1 California Kingsnake
    0.0.1 Argentine b/w tegu
    0.0.1 Bearded Dragon
    2.1 leopard Geckos
    0.1 wife
    1.1 Children

Quote Originally Posted by venomousdave
    Listen budd............

I've done over 17 years of field collecting all over the united states. I've worked with conservation departments doing population studies, I've spent weeks in swamps, I've waded through alligator snapper infested bogs and I've handled most of the venomous snakes that u.s.a has to offer. I'm not a rich guy that has money to go to other countries, but believe me, I would if I could. Everyone that does responsible field herping deserves respect. It's not how many animals you've handled, or where in the world you've found them. It's how you treated the animals, how you treated the enviroment, and if the only way you take them home is on film.

Amen to that!

Quote Originally Posted by desrptile
    I never even scrolled to the bottom of the page till tonight. What a great way to stir up some angry responses since the guy clearly can't back up his talk.

I've waded through bogs, wet and dry, scoured forests to track deer and turkey, chased lizards through the desert and jumped into lakes to catch turtles. Without the pictures how can you believe, but trust word of mouth. So here's my latest capture...the unicorn that we saw! And we don't know anything about field herping PSSSSSHH!

LOL
    0.0.1 2010 Argentine Red Tegu
    1.1 2006 Ackie Monitors

2004 Albino Boa
    0.3 2001 Normal/2003&2010 100% het. Albino Colombian Boa
    0.1 2005 Red Nic. Boa
    0.2 2006 Stripe/Reverse Stripe Nic. Boa's
    1.1 2004 Braz. Rainbow Boa's
    1.1 2004/2007 Guatemalan boa

That's the thing about being taken under the wing of a dragon. It's warmer than you'd think.

What else do you want? A cookie?
    That's the thing about being taken under the wing of a dragon. It's warmer than you'd think.

hell yea, i want a cookie!

wait, i don't even like cookies........you got any meat?
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Where did you catch them the zoo? You shouldnt take wild animals out of the wild for pets, hence the wild part. I think herping is amazing, as long as you take nothing living home pictures and videos are great, but you are just bragging.