Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's easier to breed...Mice or Rats?

Default What's easier to breed...Mice or Rats?

Hey all....Sorry for all the questions lately but they need to be asked. I'm going to try to breed either mice or rats. Is one easier to breed then the other? Does one make a better pet since that's pretty much what the breeders will be? My snakes and tegu will eat either so it realy comes down to what's easier to keep. Thanks in advance.
    2.0.0 Ball Pythons - Sniper and Q-Bert
    1.0.0 Arg B&W Tegu - Steve

I think Rats actually make great pets. I have had one before and I absolutely loved it.

Rats are a better meal.

I vote for rats too.Rats dont eat their babies like mice do.And they make great pets, very friendly and smart..But they do require bigger caging and more food then mice.Personally I think mice smell much more then rats too but thats just my opinion..

theyre both easy to breed. rats and mice can be given grains as in chicken food but they also need some dog food (pellets) to avoid them eating their young.

to me both are very easy to breed. I breed mice, rats and rabbits for feeder food for my animals and to sell.
    Education is Everything.......

both are very easy to breed :wink: I did both :wink:
    a couple of the rats made very good pets and you have to clean both of their houses very, very often but I thought the smell of the rats were more overwhelming then the mice :oops: and for some reason I did not sleep well knowing the rats were probably smarter then me :lol: :lol:
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu
    0.1. Colombian Tegus
    1.0.0 Genetic Stripe Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Albino/Lav Reticulated Python
    1.0.0 Normal Dwarf Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Platinum Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Dwarf Tiger Reticulated Python
    0.1.0 Normal Burmese Python

I breed both mice and rats and as far as pets go rats would be the better pick I started my colony out as rat pups so I could have time to interact with them a bit before they started breeding and they show no aggression towards me even with babys my mice colony on the other hand does nip when your getting babys but on the flip side produce more then my rat colony as far as diet goes I feed both colonys the same both get mostly rodent blocks with some fresh carrots and game bird food which is a mix of grains ,corn, seeds,and dried veggies I also give them alfalfa

Rats are alot friendlier and easier to deal with. Rats aren't as frantic as mice and rats don't really bite. Although rats can get much bigger. But I would still go with rats
    The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources

Rats need space.