Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Gentle Giants

Default The Gentle Giants

I wasn't always into Tarantulas! I didn't like spiders for the longest time! Could of been fear, or lack of knowledge (I believe that's why people dislike certain things). Anyways I began to read up and so on and I really became to like "bugs" lol. I've been meaning to pick up a Mexican Red Knee, Giant White Knee, and Chaco Gold Stripe (first T I ever held...these guys are very gentle!). These are all popular T's and cost a lot for a T! I wouldn't want to go with a sling (baby T) as I wouldn't want to end up with a male as they are smaller and don't live as long. Females cost upwards of $60 and that's a lot for a spider IMO lol. Anyways....Maybe I'll get my T's at daytona!
    John

I've always liked arachnids. All I have right now is a G. rosea (chilean rose) but have a huge list of ones that I want. B. smithi (mexican red knee) is on the top of that list. If I were you John I would get familiar with the scientific names because the common names of tarantulas can get confusing as different species sometimes go by the same common name.

Charlene

I know I know....I'll still stick to common names though LOL. I'm only interested really in those 3 species. I like to handle whatever it is I keep. So I'm still pretty limited - I handle cobra's....but not sure I would work with something like baboons.
    John

what's next ....John wanting to buy a Rhino?
    http://img65.exs.cx/img65/9038/sig21et.jpg
    0.0.1 Tupinambis merianae (Argentine B/W Tegu)
    1.0.0 Tupinambis rufescens (Argentine Red Tegu)

i don't know about spiders, but praying mantis's are pretty cool. i just hate big siders even though it would be neat to have one as a pet. Scorpians are also cool. good luck john

You free handle your cobras??? I'd handle a King Baboon WAY before i'd pick up any venomous snake. I always use hooks, tongs, pinning sticks, ect. when I work with snakes up here.

I'd love to see some pics of your snakes John .

Charlene

I dont have any tarantulas but i plan on getting some so right now all i have is my emperor scorpion.
    1.0.0 Leopard gecko
    0.0.1 emperor scorpion
    0.0.1 mountain horned dragon

don't really free handle them, maybe I should have worded that differently. A hook is always involved...but it's as close as I'll get. No rhino's LOL...
    John

Good to hear

Default owning a tarantula

well we have 13 of them in our collection.all females except for two males
    1.1 chaco golden knee 5"+
    1.1 rose hairs 5"+
    .1 brazilian pink salmon 7"+
    .1 brazilian red and white 5"+
    .1 green bottle blue 5"+
    .1 venezuelan sun tiger 4"+
    .1 pinktoe 3"+
    .1 mexican red leg 2"+
    .1 mexican red knee 2"+
    .1 sri lankan ornamental 1/2" spiderling
    .1 tiger rump 3"+
    i wouldn't hold one a year ago,but after holding my first one im hooked nothing like a big tarantula in your hand so far i have not been bitten but i have been hair flicked once or twice and i think the bite would be better lol thank goodness only a few of mine do flick hair.stuff itches like crazy for a couple of days .one piece of advice buy the book called "The Tarantula Keeper's Guide" best book on the market for the new tarantula keeper.
    good luck and enjoy them wonderful animals to keep