Thread: horned frog diet

Default horned frog diet

Hi everyone. I was wondering what you guys feed your horned frogs. Mine needs more variety....he doesnt eat crix anymore, and he seems addicted to mice, which doesnt seem healty. What is your opinion about feeder goldfish? Thanks.

i'd stay away from feeder fish, as they usually harbor parasites.
    maybe try pieces of raw tilapia or other fresh water fish.
    or maybe some larger insects will spark your frog's interest.

try hissing roaches. yes you should stay away from feeder goldfish, they are a very 'dirty' prey and can indeed harbour parasites. silkworms would be good too. yeah they can get hooked on mice, if thats all you've been feeding it for awhile it might be hard to get it to eat other things.

You'll want to get your horned frog OFF rodents. Once in a while is ok, but rodents are considerably high in Vitamin A for amphibians, and it has been shown that amphibians fed a mainly rodent diet will develop hypervitaminosis A, which in amphibians can lead to metabolic bone disease as it interferes with the absorption and utilization of vitamin D3. When giving rodents, you also want to supplement with vitamin D3, but beings as vitamins A and D3 are fat soluble, you don't want to make a habit of this as they can lead to toxic build up.

Bruce, H.M., & A.S. Parkes, 1950. Rickets and osteoporosis in Xenopus laevis. Journal of Endocrinology 7: 64-81.

Douglas, T.C., M. Pennino, & Dierenfeld, 1994. Vitamins E and A, and proximate composition of whole mice and rats used as feed. Comparative Biochemistry & Physiology A 107(2): 419-424.

Earthworms are very nutritious and properly balanced with respect to minerals for amphibians (Ca:P 1.5:1). You can also go with super and king worms, locusts, grasshoppers, beetles, roaches, fish and strips of beefheart (all will require proper supplementation). In the wild they predominantly feed on other frogs, but aside from the logistical problem of getting frogs for feed, it is also an easy vector for parasites and other diseases.
    You also want to be careful on the lipid content of their diet as unlike all other vertebrates, amphibians utilize lipoproteins as the transport mechanism for active vitamin D, and it is easy to lead to obesity (another negative point for using rodents and some fish as staple food items).

VERY well said. Yes rodents are OK if fed sparingly!!!! once a month is a pretty good rule to follow...

Roaches are a GREAT staple to replace crickets and are easier to gutload then ANYTHING IMO!!!!!

STAY AWAY FROM M.HISSING COCKROACHES the exoskeleton will cause impaction VERY easily on a horned frog!!!!!!!

Like mentioned above Nightcrawlers(Earthworms) are a GREAT source of protein and horned frogs seem to love them! Well they seem to LOVE every type of worm :twisted:

Also if you are having problems feeding you horned frog slightly tap the tip off the snount with the prey item with a pair of forceps! MOST will open there mouths and goto town If you have any questions just ask!!!!

lol, as a related question, i have a horned frog (pac man) that i rescued from certan death. i can't get him to eat, i've tried earthworms meal worms and pinkies, no feeding response whatsoever. i even keep him in my bathroom which is dark to reduce stress.

my question is if this guy really won't eat, can i feed him to my tegu? are pac mans toxic at all?
    1.1.0 Arg B/W Tegu Joker n Groxy
    1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon "Spyro"
    1.0.0 Red Eared Slider "Turdy"
    0.0.0 White Dwarf Hamster "MiMi" R.I.P.
    1.1.0 Black&Albino Kingsnakes "Pearl & Hannibal"

Quote Originally Posted by tupinambis
    You'll want to get your horned frog OFF rodents. Once in a while is ok, but rodents are considerably high in Vitamin A for amphibians, and it has been shown that amphibians fed a mainly rodent diet will develop hypervitaminosis A, which in amphibians can lead to metabolic bone disease as it interferes with the absorption and utilization of vitamin D3. When giving rodents, you also want to supplement with vitamin D3, but beings as vitamins A and D3 are fat soluble, you don't want to make a habit of this as they can lead to toxic build up.
    Why is this not a problem for rodent eating reptiles? Is it something inherently different in the metabolism of amphibians that makes them more susceptible?

Worldeater, how's your PacMan frog doing...eating yet?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Absolutely there is inherently different metabolic pathways involved between amphibians and reptiles. Although everyone always lumps reptiles and amphibians together and consider them similar, the only real similarity is they are ectotherms. Lumping reptile and amphibian requirements together is about as reasonable as lumping reptile and fish requirements.
    Different lineages have different metabolic requirements. Clearly, amphibians have a much lower vitamin A requirement than most reptiles do. For their proper respective calcium metabolic requirements, we know reptiles usually require a 3:1-2:1 Ca:P ratio, but amphibians require more of a 1.3:1 ratio. Furthermore, unlike reptiles, birds, boney fish or mammals, amphibians utilize lipoproteins as the transport mechanism for active vitamin D (ie. calcium uptake is tightly linked to lipid&protein uptake). Hence, obesity-related health problems often occur in captive animals where although Ca:P ratios are optimum, fat and protein content are not.
    It is quite erroneous to think along the lines that "taxa A does fine eating prey B, so taxa B should do just as well". Think of it this way, if that logic was sound, people should get by just fine eating little more than hay (as a cow would) or ants and termites (as anteaters do).