Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu Revolution!!!!!!

Default Tegu Revolution!!!!!!

I was just wondering, what could we all do as Tegu lovers, to bring these Gorgeous, and dog like intelligent animals to the forefront of the world, as pets. Think about it, these lizards can be trained to be just as or close to dog and cat intelligent. They are capable of being very docile like the rest of them, or better.
    Im just tired of trying to go to a library or pet store, to find a book or video on just Tegus, and having to buy a book with monitors, and tegus sharing a book. Then reading the book to only find out that 95% of the book is monitor based, and only the last four pages of the book are on Tegus. Now, I have nothing against monitors or any other animals. I just feel like these animals all are accepted and have there own publications and videos, why can't Tegus have there own publications and be accepted also. As a person like myself who loves tegus, I just feel like Tegus are being disrespected. I bet you that if you go to work tomorrow, and ask ten of your co-workers (no zoo or pet shop workers included)if they know what a Tegu is? Nine out of ten would give you the "Screw" face and say a "What?"
    Thats why i have to give Rick his respect on putting together this site thats just for "Tegus"! Can someone get a hold of that author from Germany and tell him to get that book about just tegus translated into english, or can someone step up to the plate and put a book out?
    I would like to know what the rest of the tegu community thinks about this!
    " Never let them get to your pride, give them hell to the day you demise" -The Capo

lol i kind of like having a pet lizard no one has heard of, its fun going into class when everyone talks about their dog and cats I tell them about my tegu and thier like what...?

But with any animal bringing them into the lime light can have some negative effects as well. Look at some of the popular dog breeds. Now they are inbreed so much and some people are not reposnable breeders so u get health and temperment issues. Then comes the prime reptile example, the iguana. Iguanas when handle daily and in the righ conditions can be just friendly as a tegu, but in most cases these aren't the people who buy them. Now they have a rap of being angery and mean lizards.

I have to aggree tho, more puplication would be nice, of course the interent seems to have more info then any library. I even checked the UCDavis Vet and exotic animal libray section and nothing on tegus... like you siad just monitors.

eek! no way! the awesomeness of tegus should stay as secret as possible. the WORST thing that can happen to a pet species is for it to become the next 'fad.'

i agree, i wouldnt want tegus to become the next bearded dragon that would sadden me greatly

i also have to agree i like having an animal not much publised about...

Default Re: Tegu Revolution!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjones
    I was just wondering, what could we all do as Tegu lovers, to bring these Gorgeous, and dog like intelligent animals to the forefront of the world, as pets. Think about it, these lizards can be trained to be just as or close to dog and cat intelligent. They are capable of being very docile like the rest of them, or better.
    Im just tired of trying to go to a library or pet store, to find a book or video on just Tegus, and having to buy a book with monitors, and tegus sharing a book. Then reading the book to only find out that 95% of the book is monitor based, and only the last four pages of the book are on Tegus. Now, I have nothing against monitors or any other animals. I just feel like these animals all are accepted and have there own publications and videos, why can't Tegus have there own publications and be accepted also. As a person like myself who loves tegus, I just feel like Tegus are being disrespected. I bet you that if you go to work tomorrow, and ask ten of your co-workers (no zoo or pet shop workers included)if they know what a Tegu is? Nine out of ten would give you the "Screw" face and say a "What?"
    Thats why i have to give Rick his respect on putting together this site thats just for "Tegus"! Can someone get a hold of that author from Germany and tell him to get that book about just tegus translated into english, or can someone step up to the plate and put a book out?
    I would like to know what the rest of the tegu community thinks about this!

"Gorgeous, and dog like intelligent animals to the forefront of the world" calling them doglike would be the biggest mistake in any form of publication. they are not dog like, they are intelligent. when newbies to the tegu world hear someone call them doglike. it leads to more impulse buys, and they get bitten once and cry. "why is my tegu mean? there is something wrong with it." then they dump it off on someone else.

i dont mean to single you out or anything. there are some available papers online. try searching under the latin name, or the names the locals use.

I fear would we see as many homeless and abused tegu's as we see abused, and starving ig's and beardies daily. I would rather keep them on the down low myself. I believe rick, varn, and bert to be doing a great job, keeping th owners of the tegu's they sell informed and ready and knowing just how big they get and the very large enclosure they will need. Just wait till your little girl gets bigger heh you'll love her yes, but I don't think most of america is ready to just usher in such a large reptile to the masses. Besides repiles imo are always going to be the pet for those that shy away from such pets as cats and dogs. I don't get my wrong I love my bull terrier, but my snakes hold a different place in my heart, as will my tegu in september, hell I've been reading posting and prepareing for over a year and still don't have the little guy, but I will soon enough. So what do I say to your post, no thanks but I can understand what you mean.

i wouldnt like tegus to be the next beardies either its good to have a lizard that people havent heard of when they see how nice and tame they are they cant believe it to be honest i dont know why they arent more popular

i wouldnt like tegus to be the next beardies either its good to have a lizard that people havent heard of when they see how nice and tame they are they cant believe it to be honest i dont know why they arent more popular

Now that you guys put it that way, I have to agree maybe Tgus should stay in the down low. I didnt think about how much they probably would be abused and neglected like some dogs and cats are. See this is why i wanted feed back from you guys so I can get a better understanding, as to why Tegus aren't an animal that you often hear about or know about. But i still want to see a book or video on just tegus and tegus alone!!
    " Never let them get to your pride, give them hell to the day you demise" -The Capo