Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tegu Revolution!!!!!!

ha ha jim. learn german, bert has a book but it's all in german. a video too. go to his site www.agamainternational.com

i've never liked the terms "dog-tame" or "puppy-tame" when talking about reptiles, because for people who don't know any better that gives an idea that the reptile will not only be friendly but will also actively seek and enjoy attention, which is rarely the case for any herp. besides, dogs and puppies bite a lot more than some other animals! saying "goldfish-tame!" might be more appropriate :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock
    i've never liked the terms "dog-tame" or "puppy-tame" when talking about reptiles, because for people who don't know any better that gives an idea that the reptile will not only be friendly but will also actively seek and enjoy attention, which is rarely the case for any herp. besides, dogs and puppies bite a lot more than some other animals! saying "goldfish-tame!" might be more appropriate :wink:
    I find that tegus that are treated like a 'normal pet' and not like a 'typical herp' will act more like a 'normal pet' and not like a 'typical herp'. Do tegus seek attention? Mine do. Mine are taken outside and allowed to free roam, they do not get "sun wild" and love to walk around the yard, local park, the beach, etc.

They spend several days every week at the local park, where the will swim in the pond, hunt frogs & tadpoles, bask on the rocks, and yes.. they will actively follow around the kids that come over and show them some attention. To me, that is an animal that seeks attention.

I do not think they have a temperament like a dog. I think it's almost exactly the same temperament of a cat. Dogs are goofy and always want attention. My tegus are more laid bad, seeking attention only when they want attention. There are times that my tegus would look at you and then lay back down, close it's eyes and bask.. as if thinking "Nah, I got better things to do right now!" lol

I am sure most of you have seen my video called "tegu-attention", but I have received many, many emails asking questions so I have put together a page with some basic info. You can find it here and judge for yourself...

http://www.siscoreptiles.com/tegu-attention.php

Feel free to share the link, hopefully more people will take my advice and raise their tegus like this so that more tegus around the world act like mine. I do also strongly believe that, like mammals, that if a tegu gets attention right out of the egg, they tend to be less fearful of humans, thus are easier to tame and train.

Rick Sisco

Rick do you think they imprint on humans like some birds can when handles right out of the egg? Just curious if it makes a difference in the long run...I would really like to see my tegu get much tamer..He is making strides but no where near cat tame even...