Thread: Fell in love gotta have one

Default Fell in love gotta have one

Hi I am new to this site but, I held my first tegu today and we fell and love my husband is a herpitologist and we really must have one weve had snakes and lizards and we just gotta have one, I have 3 children who are great with animals and have been around when we had our reps it really is time to own another,I came online to research...is there anything anyone can tell me about tegus I may not have found out I want to make sure we have a complete and safe enviroment before buying one! But we eill own one and I cant wait the person im getting one from has tamed them,says they are addictive youll want more than one?Anybody feel that way?I do have 2 cats and havent heard anything good bout tegu and cats but my cats pretty much out doors only come in to sleep and eat will that be okay I really would hate to have to get rid od of them we love them ,someone tell me if I just keep them apart is that okay? Love at first site I cant wait to own one any imfo would be great!!!Robin

Welcome to the site! Well from what i,ve learned in four months about my tegu is that they are very intelligent. There is'nt much that a tegu can't do, they can swim, run, jump, stand up, lift and most of all good hiders. They are addictive, i said to myself when i got mine that I would only get one, now im contimplating on getting a blue tegu. They are just incredible lizards, the best of them all if you ask me!
    " Never let them get to your pride, give them hell to the day you demise" -The Capo

Do you mind if I ask who you are getting one from? Rick Sisco, owner/operator of this site has 36 and his are very tame/social. He has a video on his website http://www.siscoreptiles.com showing his tegus showing him affection! He sells babies in the summer. He is taking deposits for them right now.

Tegus are said to be like cats. They can be (argentines) very friendly and affectionate. They may or may not get along with your cats. It really depends on each individual cat and each individual tegu. I see no reason for you to get rid of your cats. You may have to lock the cats up while your tegu free roams, but other than that, it should be fine.

Humidity is a big deal with tegus. They require at least 70% humidity. Other than that, a varied diet and large cage and you're all set.
    Kris, Herps they're not just a hobby, they're a way of life!

congradulations and welcome
    0.1.0 arg b&w tegu-chubbs
    1.0.0 ball python-debo
    0.1.0 colombian red tail boa-sheba
    0.1.0 blood python-phatty red

I love my tegu and even thou his a little guy he gets along well with my dog... my poor dog has grown up with reptiles so he looks at each of them once and then just falls asleep, lol. But ya i didn't think i would get attached to a little lizard (so to be big) but now i'm thinking of getting a new one and I've only had mine for two weeks, lol.

Oh and jimjones, you can't go wrong with a blue in my opnion Boscow is a blue and is the coolest lizard ever!!! ok so im bias.

varnyard Guest

Welcome to theTegu community!! Glad to hear you are wanting to get one of these awesome animals.

Be careful, they can get very addictive. A few of us have a bunch of them. I have 20 adults, it still seems I need a few more. lol

dont worry about the tegu with the cats. all of mine will curl up and sleep with my cats, provided the cat allows it. If the cat gets too brave you may have a problem. but ive never seen it. i have 5 tegus and 3 cats. nnever an issue with adult cats, but i almost lost a foster kitten i found on the highway to my red male. it got brave and swatted him, and the chase was on. but i caught him first no harm no foul i guess lol

Cats can be a problem if they are hunters.I have one cat that brings in things it catchs , rabbits,squirrels, rats etc..
    He also likes to sit on my skinks cage and watch him.He gets squirted with water for this regularly too.I would never trust him alone with any of my repts or my ferrets.Though he has never actually tried anything when they are out and about.He just sits and stares....Years and years ago I had a cat attack a pet ferret and almost kill him, I learned you just cant always take the hunting instinct out certain cats.......But on the other hand I bet an adult tegu could do some serious damage to a cat, i wonder if a cat would even bother to try with something so big?

Anyways tegus are great...Most awesome of pets...Almost make me wish I didnt have cats so he could free roam more...