Thread: Really silly question??

Default Really silly question??

hey folks.... I just got an Argentine B+W Tegu and have been watching it for a while. I've played with tegus before...red and white mainly. The black and white doesnt seem anywhere as interested in food and never used its tongue at all. Found this really curious as the Red and Whites I've got are gregarious eaters and alwas have their tongues out.

Now I opened the B+W's mouth and the tongue looks like a stump at the back of the mouth. Is this normal? He's active and bright but the tongue thing and appetiate seems a little strange to me?

Prob worrying over nothing but thought I'd ask. Yep another NOOB

that doesn't sound good at all. sounds like his tongue is missing! it is not at all normal for a tegu not to flick its tongue almost constantly when active. no tongue would explain the lack of appetite. he may have bitten it off accidentaly before you got him. better get to the vet, fast!
    i'd also have a word with whomever you got the tegu from, too...

my friend had a tegu that didn't flick it's tongue, it lived, and it HAD a tongue, we opened her mouth and saw it, she even used it on occasion, actually twice we saw her flick it. it was always uncontrolled flicking though, and only a few flicks. she lived a while, but died of an unrelated sickness.

this no tongued lizard and mine were eating and she bit my daggit's tongue, i freaked out and put my fingers all up in there to get her mouth loose. accidents happen, and if hadn't been there my boy wouldn't have a tongue.

sounds like what grim said prolly got bit off, take it to a vet! keep a close eye on it!