Thread: Gaining confidence????

Default Gaining confidence????

I've heard people say that, as there tegu grew, its confidence did too. Is this true for all tegus that are taken care of properly? And what are the self-assuring signs, that your tegu is growing more confident? Around how many feet would you say your tegu was, when you realized he/she was gaining confidence?
    " Never let them get to your pride, give them hell to the day you demise" -The Capo

Big Teg was around a year old when we got him, and he was never nervous - wary sometimes, but never skittish. At that time, he was around 24" or so. He has never been a flighty tegu since we have had him, but as he got older he seemed to become more comfortable with us and would come over to see what we were doing etc. That was when he hit maturity I guess at around 16 months - but that time he was probably pushing 3ft.

Orin on the other hand is a little larger than that now ttl at 7months - hes around 27" or so. However, he seems to have an extremely long tail which I think skews the perspective; in terms of body, his is a little smaller than the Tegs. He is getting calmer now, but is still flighty.
    www.freewebs.com/johelian
    www.freewebs.com/joslittleworld
    ---------------------------------
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu T.merianae
    3.4.0 Monkey Tailed Skink C.zebrata
    1.0.0 Crawl Cay Boa B.c.imperator
    0.1.0 Royal Python P.regius

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

It's true they do gain confidence as they get older and larger, my largest tegu is about 37in or so and i have no clue on the age, but she was nuts when i first got her and now shes calm as anything. it was also true with my sav monitor. I've had him since he was like 4 inches. now hes over 3ft. He used to always hiss and huff and try to whip me and bite, but after he hit like the 27in mark or so he just got really lazy and calm. so it just takes time but it will happen. -Art-
    -Art-