Thread: at a loss for what to do

Default at a loss for what to do

hey its been a while since i posted but that was because everything was going fine. heres whats going on:

i moved into a new place a couple weeks ago and built morbo an 8x4x4 cage. for the first week he was hiding for a while which i understood (weary of the new place) but now that hes coming out more ive been taking him out and holding him. i usually just pick him up right out of the cage and he climbs onto my shoulder. recently tho hes been kinda freaking out while hes on my shoulder. he runs around trying to find a way down (nearly fell a few times). if i try to just hold him in my hands he squirms until i either put him back on my shoulder or back in his cage. just today after i washed my hands i tried to pick him up but this time i was petting him a bit in the cage. after a few seconds he turned his head around real quick in an attempt to bite me, i pulled my hand out of the cage and he charged after it and tried to bite it again. im really confused by this, i have never ever fed him in his cage and only have in a seperate tuperware thing. can anyone give me some advise on how to stop this behavior cause im getting really upset by this. thanks.

Could be a few things and may need more info since I can only speculate at this point-
    Yes, it could be weary of it's new surroundings. Is the new cage constructed of "tegu safe" or non-toxic materials? Maybe there is something that was used during construction that is irritataing him.?
    What type of wood, paint, sealer, etc. was used?
    Has he been hibernating or trying to hibernate? Not sure where you are or what the temps are? If he is trying to hibernate maybe he's just plain
    annoyed.?
    As far as being on your shoulder goes as they get bigger I think they like
    climbing less so maybe he just isn't comfortable on your shoulder.
    Only when mine were 20" or less would they sit on my shoulder. I only did this when I was sitting on the couch in case they fell. Tegus aren't
    exactly known climbers or very agile and can get injured from a fall like that. When they wiggle in your hand or won't sit still don't try to restrain them, it only makes it worse. Instead set them down or let them walk through your hands until they settle. My male is like that. He is busy and doesn't sit still much the way my others do.
    I am not sure if males get jumpy or act differently when they mature
    or go through lizard puberty, I haven't had mine long enough but I am sure there are others here who could tell you if males go through behavior changes during maturity? I would be interested to know myself!
    Maybe that would explain him going after your hand? Maybe he is just
    developing some sort of food response or associating your hand with food?
    Good luck, hope this helped!
    E

ok ill give it a shot. thanks for the help