Thread: Live Grass

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

Default Live Grass

I noticed in another post that live grass was used inside an enclosure. I really like the way that looks and I have actually tried it before (for my tortoise). I came across a few problems though. I planted some grass and at first, it grew perfectly fine (no additives to soil or anything because my tort eats it). It got about 5 inches and then started to fall over, and then just died. Any suggestions? Also, it seemed to have spawned a group of flies, seemed like gnats or fruit flys. Did I just get a bad batch? Please help me in anyway you can. I'd like to know, if you could, what i should grow it in, and how often to water it, how deep the soil needs to be, etc. I can't plant it in my tortoise tub because he would dig up all the seeds and stuff before they germinate. So I need to plant it in something else, and then either just feed him clippings, or transfer it once it gets a few inches. Thanks.
    -Art-

The flies were probably peat flies, and more than likely they came in the soil. Horrible little things. Sorry I cant help about the grass, the main bulk of your post! Wumpscut is the one to ask.
    www.freewebs.com/johelian
    www.freewebs.com/joslittleworld
    ---------------------------------
    1.0.0 Argentine Tegu T.merianae
    3.4.0 Monkey Tailed Skink C.zebrata
    1.0.0 Crawl Cay Boa B.c.imperator
    0.1.0 Royal Python P.regius

anything i should do to make sure i don't get peat flies again? cuz they were a pain in the... yeah... and yeah wumpscut told me to create this post cuz he wanted to make sure everyone could see the answers. I asked him in a pm.
    -Art-

lol, so where are they?!

To get rid of peat flies we let the mulch dry out totally - this kills them all off, as they need to humidity for their eggs I think. A few fly strips will help a bit too. Once theyve all died, you can remoisten the mulch.

ah yes, the answers... yeah i don't know where they are, but about the peat flies, we were talking about in grass, not mulch, and if i let the grass dry out, it would probably die, at least i'd think so... any other ideas? thanks for helping me johelian
    -Art-

Of course, lol Perhaps you could dry out the soil before replanting the grass again? Im not sure if that would work to well, it will certainly make the soil very dusty and it will get everywhere, but I dont know any other way to do it. :(

Hmm... all right, thanks, I'll give the dryin out a shot. and i wonder when wumpscut is gonna check out this thread...
    -Art-

hi...

i have live grass inside my enclosure...at the beginning i have the same probs. but no flies....

let the grass grow up to 4 - 5 cm...than u have to cut it...so the grass becomes stronger. The needed water depends on the temperature...the same as in the garden. In my enclosure i have in the higher levels round about 5 to 8 cm ground...normal ground out of the garden.

But my enclosure is a closed system...two antfamilies, rainworms and a lot of plant are inside.
    take a look at my homepage...its in german...but pix are all in english :lol:
    http://taucher76.dreipage.de/

greetz
    mark

thanks, man, and nice pictures, i love the cages.
    -Art-