Thread: Growth Question

Default Growth Question

I was not sure where to post this, but here goes... about how long does it take a tegu to get to it's full size? Around how big should it get at a year old? I am just curious because I may start with like a 40 gallon tank and work my way up from there? Just wondering how long (in general) it could stay in there. thanks! ~Christie

A 40 breeder will last you about 2-3 months if you feed daily well dusted crickets and fruit. After a few months I started feeding pinkies every 2nd or 3rd day always with fruit. My tegu in now about 14-16 months old and he is 34-36”. You can see pictures of him in my gallery on this site. I would insert his latest picture in this message but I haven’t figured out how yet

Load the picture in the gallery you want. Right click on it and choose "properties" and you will see the url (address) of the picture; like this... (I use the copy & paste function to copy this address into memory)

http://www.www.thetegu.com/blehbleh/yourpicture.jpg

Then once in the thread I want the picture in I click on |Img| button and you will get an image tag in your post. Put the pictures address behind this (paste from memory), than press the |Img| button again and it will close the tag.

In your post box it will look like this;

Code:
    In the thread it will look like this;

Note: I generally use the small or medium size picture, like the one above, and not the full size picture. The main reason is for faster loading and to avoid making the thread stretch so that lower resolution screens need to scroll to the right to read.

Rick
    theTegu.com

Thanks Rick! It’s the same as when I post multiple pix on KS

I am unsure if I asked this prior or if I just intended too.. Does your tegu have a blunt, unforked tongue or is it just a matter of the timing of that photo?

Rick
    theTegu.com

Default thanks

Thanks, the tegu I am getting is really small, she's only like 13 inches right now, so I'm hoping her 40 gal will last a little while. I'm glad it'll take over a year for her to get full grown. lol My parents like getting the lizards as babies so they can get used to it before it gets huge. hehe :lol: typical parents. ~Chrisite

Tux is my current tegu. He is still in a 55 gallon tank (with my daughters tegu, Tila). If you go into the "My Tegu" forums and view the "Tux the Tegu" thread you can get some ideas of Tux's recent growth.

Rick
    theTegu.com

yea im with Rick what happened to the tip of that tegus tounge?
    1.0.0 Green Iguana-Keg
    1.3.0 Leopard Gecko-May,Brenda,Kelly,Ned
    1.0.0 Savannah Monitor-Tripp
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko - Twiggy, Samantha
    1.0.0 - Crocodile Skink - Tom
    1.1.0 - Parots

My Tegu came from the St.Pierre by way of Underground Reptiles in Deerfield Beach. This is the how I got him. Gregg (the manager) at Underground told me he once got a whole batch like this. I also spoke with Stella St.Pierre and she explained they keep large numbers of hatchlings in the same pen together. It occasionally happens that one is checking out the food with it’s tongue at the same time one decides to take a bite. No big deal, from the best I can tell he can still smell however his range may be cut down a little. I think it just gives him a little character and my wife likes it better, she says he looks like a puppy.

He had been purchased prier to me and then was returned to the store as a defect? That’s why I named him Lucky, he has been nothing but great since I got him!