Thread: Florida = Never a dull moment *Venomous Reptiles*

Default Florida = Never a dull moment *Venomous Reptiles*

Here is an Eastern Coral Snake my dad found on our patio:

Florida has a total of 44 species of snakes with 6 being poisonous. In our immediate neighborhoods 32 species occur with 4 being poisonous. Three are pit vipers: the Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, the Dusky Pygmy Rattlesnake, and the Florida Cottonmouth (or Water Moccasin). Pit vipers have triangular shaped heads and vertical pupils.

The fourth most venomous snake here is the Eastern Coral Snake. It is related to the Cobra. It has both a rounded head and round pupils. Look for its black nose.

- I have captured and released all the above mentioned venomous snakes. Eastern diamond back rattlers are my favorite of what's here in FLA! MORE PICS TO COME!!!

*This animal will either be released far from home (Everglades) or given to a friend who keeps venomous reptiles.*
    John

wow I didnt know a "water moccasin" was just another name for cottonmouth. I live in ohio and people here just swear that we have them. I really dont believe that.

I highly doubt you have them there as it gets so cold, but it's possible.
    John

people just think that any snake in the water is a mocassin. DER!!!

LOL very true, most are water snakes!
    John

Any snake that lives even remotely near the water will be confused as a "cottonmouth" by at least one person. I have people up here swearing that they have seen one even though its WAY outside their natural range. Come on people its called a gartner snake and yes they like the water too lol.

Charlene

well i see that you live in the red lands or somewhere close by the everglades. i live just a little more south in the keys. i have seen most of the venomous snakes in a state park on the 905, but have yet to see a coral snake. i really hope to see one tho

We (ohio,Penn) do have cottonmouths here. I have not personally seen any but my father has seen plenty.