Thread: nor cal herps

Default nor cal herps

I have to admit, compared to Arizona or Florida, Sacramento is not popping out herps, but ther are some to be found. Just past Davis, in Stubbins Cold Canyon Preserve (free ), I have seen aquatic garter snakes, and the ground just crawling with California newts (Mating season, late Feb-March-esp. after or during rain). Up off of Highway 20, just past Boreal, is a little trail run by PG&E, there were numerous ensatinas. Around the Folsom Lake area, I've heard there are many rattlesnakes (hav'nt seen 'em :cry: ). and up at the Sacramento Wildlife Refuge (during the dry season--May-Sept.), there were many garter snakes--We were lucky to see one stealing an egg from a marsh wren's nest...
    I just wanted to put those out there for anyone who's in this area. If there are any other good spots in or around the Sacramento area, PLEASE let me know.
    Thanks

If you wanna find rattlesnakes, you should take a bike and ride it along the american river parkway bike trail. I've seen a few rattlesnakes in resting areas where there is tall grass, logs, bushes, trees, etc.

well maybe not on par with AZ or FL but nor cal does have some cool herps
    http://www.thetegu.com/postt1776.html

Default norcal again...

It's nice to know there's other californians who are proud of what we've got. I used to be on the bike trail 5 days a week, but I did'nt see anything... hmmm. guess I'll walk off the path and look harder. Sad part is, my mom and uncle, who hate snakes, see them no matter where they go, yet my husband and I, who like all reptiles, are lucky to see fence lizards!

lol that's how it use to be for me too, all my friends hated reptiles and would see them and run, now one of my roomates wants to get over her fear of reptiles. She loves the ones i have becuase they won't bite, but the wild ones still scare her. Now i take her with me when i go field herping and we've seen rattlers and rubber boas all the time. She still screams tho so sometimes i don't get to see what she sees thems the brakes. I should try the bike trail one day, i bike enough as it is anyway lol.

Hehe funny you should talk about rattlers. I'm not very close to Sacremento, but I'm in CA.

I was at Petco (I hate it, but it was the closest to me at the time). After i got my weekly feeders, I noticed something in the middle of the road. I went closer, and I noticed it was a snake. Then I noticed something else...It had a rattle! It was a little baby rattle snake. So, I naturally took it off the road (with a big stick), and let it go in a better area. Pretty cool to see them, I love the way the rattle looks.

This happened yesterday.
    Animals: Too many.

There's a really little lizard (no idea what kind it is) that hangs out at the spot where I take my smoke breaks at work in Rancho Cordova. He just chills and soaks up the sun. He's so cute.
    1.0.0 Green Iguana - Bhruic
    0.1.0 Leopard Gecko - Jambi

prolly a fence lizard like this lil baby