Thread: A happenstance and a howdy from a new member...

Default A happenstance and a howdy from a new member...

Howdy Folks!
    I am new to this site, but as a way of introducing myself, I thought I'd post some interesting (to me anyway) behaviors that I've had the pleasure to observe in my four little yearling Argentine Black & White Tegu-"Pups"...
    When it was warm a few weeks back, I had placed my Tegus in a large plastic tub outside in the sunshine...well, when I went back to check on them a little bit later, all four of them looked up at me with evil intent in their eyes, and I mean that this look was absolutely murderous! (If looks could kill...) As they all leered up at me, they were all walking around all stiff-legged and belligerently lifting up their bodies off of the floor of the container, and if they had had switchblades on them, I would have truly been in fear for my very life! (They were sort of funny, actually, so little yet so fearsome----they really looked like a little group of badass thugs, ready to pummel me at the least provocation!) I decided it was time to perhaps bring them back in, but as I began to stick my hand down into the tub, they all began gaping and hissing and snapping at me, and one of them became SO irate, that it actually jumped up at me, coming up off the floor of the tub at least a foot and a half into the air, hissing, gaping and biting at me! I suppose I was looking like a predatory threat to them to have elicited such a profound response, but needless to say, I put my leather gloves on as I removed them one by one, and I was bitten repeatedly by each one...Yet after settling back down again within their glass aquarium home, they were once again docile, and I was able to pick them up without a fuss. And after handling each of them, I have discovered that the one that lept into the air at me has turned out to be the most tame one of all, even curling up on my lap and going to sleep while I lightly stroke its head and neck!
    ...Another thing that I have really found fascinating is that when they all come up out of their bedding substrate (Birch tree shavings) to lie in the sun in the afternoons, how downright affectionate and gregarious they all are with one another...I never see them out together without them (almost having to be) touching one another, or lying upon one another, even to the point of very slowly and very gently placing their "hands" upon one another, or their heads across each other's backs----they always seem to ( have to) be in physical contact with one another----even when they're burrowed down in the substrate! They have never been aggressive with each other, and, in fact, they seem almost tender with one another...it's really been amazing to me to see this sort of behavior in a reptile species! Hopefully as they get older, they may get that tame with me.
    I don't know how much of this sort of behavior that you have also noticed in your younger Tegus, but I just thought I'd share some of my observations with you folks, because these are some really cool creatures, you know?
    ...Warm regards, Paul...

Welcome to thetegu.
    Animals: Too many.