Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some of my inverts

Default Some of my inverts

These guys are my main interest. What I post here makes up a small fraction of what I've collected and purchased in the two years I've been heavily into keeping invertebrates (and reptiles again as a result).

Hadogenes paucidens (Flatrock)

Leiurus quinquestriatus (Deathstalker)

Androctonus australis (African Fat-Tail)

Smeringus mesaensis (Dune Scorpion)

Hadrurus arizonensis (Desert Hairy)

Lasiodora parahybana (Salmon Pink Birdeater)

Aphonopelma chalcodes (Desert Blonde)

Pterinochilus murinus (Usambara Baboon)

If anyone wants, I could post more.

Well, I'm impressed! That is a wicked collection!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Are you into mantis species at all?
    E

Quote Originally Posted by eradi
    Well, I'm impressed! That is a wicked collection!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Are you into mantis species at all?
    E
    At one point, I was doing a lot of research on them after seeing some very interesting Old World species in a book on terrariums I have, but after I looked into some of the laws in Arizona, it turns out that nearly all of them require some form of permit to own because of them being potential invasive species, especially with the African and Madagascan mantids, which are my favorites.

I'm limited to what I have here, and that's the Chinese Mantids and some smaller native species. This summer I hope to finally catch some Litaneutria minor (tracking the babies across the ground is difficult with their cryptic coloration), and if I'm lucky enough, Pseudovates arizonae. The bushes around my house probably have Tenoderas, so if I feel like it, I'll catch a couple babies sometime this month.

edit: What the heck, here's some more:

Scolopendra polymorpha (Tiger Centipede)

Vaejovis spinigerus (Stripetail Scorpion)

Centruroides sculpturatus (Bark Scorpion)

Stromatopelma calceatum (Featherleg Baboon)

Grammostola aureostriata (Chaco Golden Knee)

Mastigoproctus giganteus (Giant Vinegaroon)

Latrodectus hesperus (Western Widow)

Hogna carolinensis (Wolf)

I hold a lot of my animals, but that doesn't mean I endorse it. It's just my choice to hold something a bit less conventional, like a centipede or wolf spider.

Ha, yeah, you are a brave one. I will only hold my B. Albopilosum, I would never even touch my 9 other T's.

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

well, congratulations on a sweet collection, but i couldn't ever do that, im a big wuss when it comes to spiders, i don't like them outside my house let a lone free handling them... imo you are nuts but we all have our own things. And its not even the whole venomous and poisonous thing to me, i just can't stand most insects, i have no problem with crix and diff worms, i can and do hold cockroaches, but i dislike doing it. anything else, such as spiders (no matter what size or type) scorps, cenipedes, millipedes, etc. I don't know what my problem is, i just don't like them, and ive tried, but i just can't bring myself to do it... so overall i guess im a wuss in that aspect... oh well. but sweet collection man, def awesome.
    -Art-

I like that second pic.It looks like there is a cartoon drawing on it's head.

I could never touch them let alone keep them but I respect that you can and do. I am afraid of anything like that.

Brat!
    Tegu's are like potato chips,you can't have just one!
    I now have 4.

ive wanted a wolf for so long, whered you get yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Nero557
    well, congratulations on a sweet collection, but i couldn't ever do that, im a big wuss when it comes to spiders, i don't like them outside my house let a lone free handling them... imo you are nuts but we all have our own things. And its not even the whole venomous and poisonous thing to me, i just can't stand most insects, i have no problem with crix and diff worms, i can and do hold cockroaches, but i dislike doing it. anything else, such as spiders (no matter what size or type) scorps, cenipedes, millipedes, etc. I don't know what my problem is, i just don't like them, and ive tried, but i just can't bring myself to do it... so overall i guess im a wuss in that aspect... oh well. but sweet collection man, def awesome.
    If you want to know, I was severely arachnophobic up to 2 years ago. Couldn't be in a room with a little jumping spider and definitely couldn't sleep until I knew it was gone. That really interfered with my life, so I decided to educate myself on them. After a couple months, I was ready to get something. I caught a bark scorpion and decided to keep it. I was extremely afraid of it at first, but just observing her kind of dissipated the fear. After that, I bought a docile tarantula and caught a widow, and it all just went from there.

You just need exposure to them. Worked for me. I can't imagine how I would live in Arizona if I was still afraid of spiders. Just last night a huge Pholcid was crawling around the bathroom. Every now and then gravid female bark scorpions crawl into the house and there are countless widows in my backyard. I leave all except the scorpions alone. They're not going anywhere, so might as well live with them.

I'm not as crazy as I look too. What I hold is hardly dangerous. I know my limits. I'm not going to be holding anything that can hurt me significantly.

ive wanted a wolf for so long, whered you get yours?
    Caught her. I know some areas around here which are full of them.

Here's a recent picture of her. She molted a couple weeks ago.

I'm probably going to breed her soon enough.

Here's a new widow I have:

And one more recent molt:

There's a reptile show coming up in September, and since a lot of my spiders died in the drought a couple months ago, I'll probably pick up a good number of species.

Elwood, IL - Southwest Suburb of Chicago (about an hour away)

well that's good to know im not the only one, and although i'll try and educate myself on them and everything, i doubt i'll be holding anything any time soon, but if i think about it, it makes sense, cuz i used to hate roaches and although not so fond of them, i do handle them when i have to for my animals now... so yeah it all makes sense... I'll just have to give them a shot i guess. thanks
    -Art-

I also agree.

I never in a million years thought I could have a lizard with a forked tongue like a snake.
    Even when I got my first Tegu he sorta gave me the creeps.
    My next step would be a snake because I really do have a fear of those.

Brat!
    Tegu's are like potato chips,you can't have just one!
    I now have 4.