Thread: how to socialize my Columbian

Default how to socialize my Columbian

It is only about 12" long and is a little skidish but is getting more and more so as time goes on(Ive only had it for about a week). I spend at least a couple of hours working in my animal room near it's enclosure and handle it for atleast 10-15 min a day and it only seems to get more frightened every time, Today it even mustered up the balls to try and bite me. I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to calm it down and make it a make it a handlable pet.

There is a method I use in the "Helpful Info" section of this site. It works on many tegus, but keep in mind that Colombian tegus, by nature, are timid and flighty and take a bit more work.

Rick

I've had my colombian for around 2 months now, and we are still bonding - she huffs and puffs everytime I open the tank, but seems to settle down a little sooner as she seems more trusting of me that I am not a threat. She still don't like being picked up, however has never tried to bite me - I don't think she will ever be like taming or teaching a puppy tricks - more like trying to co-exist with a dinosaur :lol:

Ive never really heard of someone with a calm columbian that was over 12" .. alot of times the ones that say theirs are tolerable are smaller baby ones, and i have 2 baby ones they are fine.. they just are a bit flighty until u pick them up, then after theyre in your hands they try to jump from time to time, they are very good jumpers.
    1.0.0 - Argentine B&W
    0.0.2 - Columbian B&W
    0.1.0 - Bearded Dragon

i have had myn for almost a year actualy 10 months hes finaly calming down.
    0.2.0 German Shepherds *Khoda* & *Keara*
    0.0.1 Ball python *Akua*
    0.0.1 normal corn *seismo*
    0.0.1 snow corn *sleet*

tegus are really smart. My colombian, although soppy tame with me, when my mate came to see me, he asked if the tegu was tame. I said yeah. He put his hand in the viv and ouch! it lunged at him. Great recognition capabilities, eh?

Tegus are indeed very smart. They can recognize color and can learn words so I am sure they can recognize facial features, voice and perhaps even a persons individual smell.

Hopefully no one was hurt.

Rick