Thread: feeder insects

Default feeder insects

does anyone breed their own(other than crix), if so what kind.
    currently I'm breeding
    Blaberus discoidalis(discoid roaches)
    Eublaberus sp. (possibly prosticus)(six spotted roach)
    mexican burrowing roaches
    N.cineria (lobster roaches)
    and Pachnoda marginata (flower scarabs)

I breed superworms occassionally. Where did you get the roaches from I wasn't able to find any up here besides Madagascar hissing for $3 a piece which seemed a little high.

Charlene

I buy crickets and superworms from time to time, but I breed and raise some hissers. I bought a small colony from a guy on ReptiBid. I got a great deal, but the weather was cold when he shipped them and many died. He was good to deal with and merely refunded my full amount. Great guy. If you search the forums for "hissers" you will find the info.

Out of the few that lived I now have a small colony of about 120. Which is growing larger all the time. I let them free roam in the food cabinet and they just keep growing larger and larger. Yesterday I think a few of them carried off a pizza I left on the table! (ok, I am kidding about the free roaming roaches.) They are stored in two sterilite storage containers, as they grow I will split them up again and get several colonys going.

I haven't tried other insects yet, but I may if I can find a small starter colony sampler.

What I like about hissers is they are quiet (pretty quiet anyways) and they dont stink (they have an oder, but its alot less the crix), the cant fly or jump.. so its pretty easy to keep then contained.

Rick

hehe...I can get hissers by the pound for $20 . To bad the parents won't put up with them, I'd be breeding them!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John
    hehe...I can get hissers by the pound for $20 . To bad the parents won't put up with them, I'd be breeding them!
    $20 a pound I wish in Canada they are a dollar or more per roach

I'd ship you as many as you want but they are illegal here in FL.
    John

Discoids, Hissers, and Lobster roaches.. all in the hundreds.

Fun? Maybe.

can anybody give me some pointers in breeding superworms?
    Visit www.reptileontario.com

- Scott

0.1.0 Argentine Black & White Tegu (Koopa)
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragon (Cowboy)
    1.0.0 Pixie Frog (Chubudha)
    0.1.0 Cuban Knight Anole
    0.1.0 Chilean Rose Tarantula (Szandora)
    1.1.0 Cats (Jimi & Rivers)
    And a

Default breeding superworms

hi,
    i've been breeding superworms for about a year now and it is pretty easy.
    stuff you need.
    1.some superworms of course, the more the better cause it takes a while to get going.
    2. bedding for them i use unprocessed wheat bran. you can usually get it in the supermarket.
    3. potatoes for food.
    a few different containers i have accumulated a bunch of critter keepers so i use them and a few 15 qt sterlite containers.
    4. if you are a fisherman you know those plastic boxes with the dividers and lid. planno or something the have them in all walmarts, sports authority. the ones i use have about 20 or more separators. i have about 4 of them.
    ok now your ready to begin..
    keep the superworms in the 15qt container with about 2- 4 inches of bedding. depending on how many you have to start with. i started with a 1000. so you can feed as you start your colony. slice some potatoes and let them be for 2 days. then take the biggest ones and start filling the planno boxes 1 in each separate compartment. with no bedding or potato. close the lid and in about 2 weeks or so you will see them curled up and then they will start to change, i think it is called a pupate.. once they start changing to the pupates, ( they look like little grubs), put them in on of the other containers with about a half inch of the bedding. like the kritter keeper, it must have vents so they can breathe. in about another 2 weeks or so, they will turn into beetles. as they turn put them in another kritter keeper with about 3-4 inches of bedding with some sliced potatoes. . it kind of a rotating circle. after you have a bunch of beetles in the same container they will start to breed and lay eggs in the bedding. keep them in that container for about another 2 weeks or until you start seeing tiny little baby superworms. then remove the beetles and put them on another container with vents (kritter keeper) put some sliced potatoes for the baby superworms. they take about a month or so to get full grown. and start the whole cycle again. i keep adding superworms to the planno boxes as they change or die. and keep adding beetles. in about 4-5 months you should be up and running with thousands of superworms. just remember to have a constant supply of potatoes and bedding cause the bedding should be changed as it turns color or dust you will see. if you have any questions let me know and goodluck!!