Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guard mode after breeding.

Diveting eggs can be either from low humidity or infertilized eggs. My experience has been you need a quite high humidity (80% or greater) but with good ventilation. If there isn't proper ventilation, you will certainly get mold. You can also try to prevent mold growing by washing the eggs and getting rid of anything clinging to the eggs that would promote molding.

For the interests of clarity, is that parts by volume or parts by weight? Conventionally, the 'formula' that is often quoted in literature is equal parts vermiculite and water by weight.

varnyard Guest

Mine is by volume, I use 50% vermiculite to 50% Perlite. Then this mix is mixed 20 parts medium to 8 parts water. Or 20 cups of the medium to 8 cups of water.

Colin, I do have a question, what solution do you use to wash your eggs?

Normally just warm tap water and a soft, old toothbrush to get rid of clinging organic matter. In cases where I have had extra reason to be concerned of potential pathogens, I've employed a very weak solution of betadine surgical scrub (you can purchase this at a pharmacy, it is usually kept behind the counter and you have to ask for it). Just enough betadine in the water to make it appear discoloured, you don't want to use too much.

varnyard Guest

Thanks for the info, I will keep that in mind. I wash my eggs but all I have ever used is just plain water with a damp cloth.

I normally use plain water as well, I just usually want to get excess debris off the eggs. But when you consider some of the junk that our crocs, and sometimes the tegus, incorporate into their nests, I will also use the betadine solution. I don't know if it actually helps that much, or if it is just a "mental bandage" for peace of mind.

varnyard Guest

This is true, I even heard stories of them burying rotting fruit with the eggs before. That has got to hold some mold spores in that stuff. Have you seen or heard this before?