Thread: Reptile guru: good or bad?

Default Reptile guru: good or bad?

Has anyone here ever delt with reptile guru? im thinking of purchasing an argus monitor from them next month and was wondering if they were good to do business with or not?
    "To be great is to be misunderstood. . ."

varnyard Guest

I've seen an article about prehistoric pets ( reptileguru online) in Reptiles magazine, november 2007. It says that the store specializes in argus and water monitors..and if they were featured in reptiles magazine..i'd trust them. Sorry i don't have any personal experience with the store, I live in Canada. Hope this helped.

Prehistoric pets is my local reptile store. Hopefully your argus isnt in there. Dont get me wrong they have a huge selection, but none of theyre tegus have tails due to way to small of a livign enviroment. Ive also seen some argus/water monitors there with burns and what seemed to be some kind of infection of the mouth/jaw. Now i could be wrong, because i know that they do take in/rescue animals, so those animals i see could just be rescues. Still no excuse to have a 3' tegu in a 24x24 box encloser!

All in all, id say dont purchase unless you have some way to check the animal out first hand, or if shipped if they offer some kinda of refund, plus cover the shipping back. Definetly check out the articles varnyard sent you, sounds about right to me.....

Hellbound, you are correct on your local shop. But Reptile Guru is not offiliated with Prehistoric pets no longer, they went there ways many years back. I have not been to the Chino shop yet, but plan on heading that way sometime soon. There is someone on this forum that works there, hopefully he will work with you and talk with you about the shop.

So, before anyone miss understands your comment, the shop in question is NOT the one in Fountain Valley, but in fact the Chino store under the name reptile guru.

Hope this clears up some things.

ed

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbound
    Prehistoric pets is my local reptile store. Hopefully your argus isnt in there. Dont get me wrong they have a huge selection, but none of theyre tegus have tails due to way to small of a livign enviroment. Ive also seen some argus/water monitors there with burns and what seemed to be some kind of infection of the mouth/jaw. Now i could be wrong, because i know that they do take in/rescue animals, so those animals i see could just be rescues. Still no excuse to have a 3' tegu in a 24x24 box encloser!

All in all, id say dont purchase unless you have some way to check the animal out first hand, or if shipped if they offer some kinda of refund, plus cover the shipping back. Definetly check out the articles varnyard sent you, sounds about right to me.....
    1.1.0 Snow boas
    1.0.0 albino boa
    4.2.0 salmon/Hypo boas
    0.1.0 DH sunglow
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.0.1 Anery corn
    0.0.1 Motley sunglow corn

0.0.2 Extreme giant tegu's
    1.0.0 BW tegu
    0.1.0 Blue Tegu
    3.2.0 beardies
    sandfire, snow, rankins, german giants

3.0.0 dogs : ChowChow and Shi Tzu's

i work for the reptile guru/prehistoric pets chino and can assure you we to do our best to make sure cages are clean and animals are happy... like all american said we are not related to the store in fountain valley about nine years ago jay from fountain valley sold it to jim since then they have been separate anyway yea the owner is great and i take pride in being part of the staff ive learned so much about husbandry, different species and breeding since ive been there

but yea an argus is a great choice of monitor they can be tricky and difficult to work with sometimes but 99.9 percent of the time they never bite and they always have a great personality i love to work with them there real cool we dont have any right now but have about 15 eggs incubating and one female about to lay so yea american if you want i can let you know when babies will be available you can pm me if you got any other questions or somethin