Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oreo in his new home

Quote Originally Posted by TeguNerd
    Who sold you him?

-Jon-
    My wife bought him from a local pet store (local owned not Petco) who got him through a wholesaler. So, who knows where he came from.

I wanted to buy one from Rick. She insists on nursing this one back to health.

I left him a plate of food this morning including 2 dusted pinkies.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

I think that PetShop should of done a better job and making sure the Tegu was in good health and eating before it was sold. *sigh* What can you expect from Petshops these days, Ive only seen 2 petshops in my life time which were good, one is Fred's Pet Center and the other is PetGoods when it 1st started off(now it's horrible but working back up).
    Well it's good that your wife saved him and he's in good hands. Are you thinking of getting another once you get this guy up and running?
    Did he take his pinks? I actually felt pretty bad this morning, I was going to take out Tigger one last time before the lights went out and he rejected me and went to sleep in his hide lol

-Jon-

I think that PetShop should of done a better job and making sure the Tegu was in good health and eating before it was sold. *sigh* What can you expect from Petshops these days, Ive only seen 2 petshops in my life time which were good, one is Fred's Pet Center and the other is PetGoods when it 1st started off(now it's horrible but working back up).
    Well it's good that your wife saved him and he's in good hands. Are you thinking of getting another once you get this guy up and running?
    Did he take his pinks? I actually felt pretty bad this morning, I was going to take out Tigger one last time before the lights went out and he rejected me and went to sleep in his hide lol

-Jon-
    These guys are pretty good, but there's no profit in feeding them too well. So they do the bare minimum. The whole problem with him could have been stress related. They said he was eating great for them. We don't know.

We thought about returning him, but she wanted to get him better.

I'll see when I get home if he ate. I hope he ate at least 1. I doubt he ate the second (too much) but I gave him the option. I have to get some new type of worms to put in a bowl for him during the day.

I hope he doesn't go spazz again tonight.

Ah typical Petshop! Can't even afford to feed pinkies and crics! There such cheap food items! But you never know, you said there good right? This Tegu could of just been a bad stubborn apple...............

Well I'll cross my fingers that he at least took one pink.

Why don't you try silkies? They pretty nutrional and squirmy.

-Jon-

Why don't you try silkies? They pretty nutritional and squirmy.

-Jon-
    We bought some at the January show for the BD's. They weren't interested.

That's a good point, we'll have to get some for the Tegu. I don't want to feed him Meal worms, they're fairly useless, even more than crickets.

Ah that's the same show where I got Tigger, I got him from "Roaches of the World" located on the upper right side for $70.

Where'd you get the silkies? Was it the 50 for $8 deal?
    That's pretty wierd your Beardies didn't take em, mine will pounce any thing they see that squiggles or craws. Maybe you'll have better luck with the Tegu. Well does he take mealies? You can gut load them and make them more nutritional. I prefer Supers though, Tigger dosen't care

-Jon-

Where'd you get the silkies? Was it the 50 for $8 deal?
    I'm guessing they were from the guy in the back. My wife bought them.

Well does he take mealies? You can gut load them and make them more nutritional. I prefer Supers though, Tigger dosen't care
    We had some butter worms. He would take one usually. He took 3 once.

Aren't supers too big for him?? He's 55g and 12" long.

He ate BOTH large pinkies!!!!! Man is he stuffed!!!! He probably won't eat for 2 days!!

The only food he will eat on his own are pinkies!!! I'll try other types of worms.

That's great to hear!!! :P Looks like he's taking a step up!!! Now let's see if he'll soon get the craving for insect on his own. :wink:

Yeah I find that deal to be too much,I'd rather take that money and some nice fuzzies or crickets. By the way, have you ever seen roaches at the show?

Hmm, I'm not sure..... try offering him some small supers and if he can take them easily step it up a bit. I know Tigger pounds large ones like nothing but then again he's like twice the size or more.......

I haven't tried butter worms, what's the nutritional value on them,where'd you get em?

-Jon-

By the way, have you ever seen roaches at the show?
    Not feeders. I bought 250 nymph Blaptica Dubia's back in September (from a guy on BD.org) to build a feeder colony. I gave up and left them alone after 4 months, throwing in some food every 2 weeks for 2 months. Must have had 5-10 litters since!! What a bitch trying to separate them!!! Now I'm waiting for them to grow to be big enough to feed to my Tegu. I sure hope he likes them. Our 21" Bearded Dragon likes the adult roaches, but they're a mouthful, she will only eat one.

Hmm, I'm not sure..... try offering him some small supers and if he can take them easily step it up a bit.
    We'll look at the show. The local pet guys have supers, I'll have to see if they have some smaller ones. I may have to cut the heads off, I've read they're hard to digest for the smaller guys. Maybe too much shell.

I haven't tried butter worms, what's the nutritional value on them,where'd you get em?
    No idea, my wife bought them. They're soft and squishy.

Not's my favorite thing about roaches, there fast reproducers and make great staples! I'm getting a starter colony of six spotted roaches from Bert in July when I recieve my Tegu so I'll just wait till then.

At the show you can get like a pound of supers for only around $8!!! Great deal, the guy who sells them is in the middle rows right next to beardie booth. I never chop of the heads and never had any probs as long as the lizard finely chews(all of mine do....).

I'll have to scan the show for some butter worms and I want some phoneix worms as well.

-Jon-