Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seals being killed...warning: graphic images

Quote Originally Posted by reptilefreak View Post
    I just wanted to point out that I don't care what the animal looks like, if it's cute or not, I do NOT agree with the killing of any animal (baby or adult) for the use of fur UNLESS the whole animal is being used, and not killing just for the fur.

I realize now after reading a bit that they do eat seals in some places.
    Sorry to say but the meat from the baby seals does get eaten. It's almost beefy, sort of salty and you can cut it with a fork. It's very good. I'm not trying to tick anyone off, but this is a way of life for many people.
    Do you honestly think that that we eat the same cows used for leather?
    Also if seals weren't hunted, fish stocks would deplete and eventually the over flux of seals would starve. As much as most "Animal Lovers" hate to admit it, humans are a part of the food chain just as much as any other animal, Inuit hunting of seals kept fish stocks sustainable for hundreds of years, and if people keep speaking out against it in ignorance, we'll pay for it later.

And a seal's skull is fairly fragile, hitting it on the head causes a quick death, much less painful then most of the chickens, cows, pigs, etc that we eat from farms.

Most of the anti-seal hunt propaganda comes from PETA, any true "Animal Lover" knows exactly what PETA's agenda entails.

P-People for the
    E-Eating of
    T-Tasty
    A-Animals

LOL

Quote Originally Posted by reptilefreak View Post
    I don't even think they are using any part of the seals for anything, just to kill them for sport. The human race never ceases to disgust me.
    My god... Get your facts straight...
    It's not a sport, it's an annual harvest; like corn. You think this only happens to seals? Where do you think the chicken/beef/pork in our grocery shops come from? And that is on an WAY larger scale than the seal harvest!

Also, almost every part of the seal is used. The meat is donated/sold to local tribes and towns. The fat/hide is used by the locals and shipped abroad as a valued trade item. Oh and they are not endangered. They are actually overpopulating our waters and decimating the fish population.

Don't we as reptile keepers "kill" animals all the time? Maybe they are just not as cute as the seals?

Leo

i agree with you on the harvest part, & the part about Peta, I've done a LOT of research on them they Kill so many animals them self.... there was a court case a few years ago about the Peta members "adopting" animals from shelters & killing them in their vans then dumping them in local dumpsters to use as animal cruelty propaganda..... & yes most of those pics are staged i wouldn't be surprised if Peta killed them just so people could use the pics for things such as this discussion.

again not trying to peeve any1 off here, so sorry if i did

Default How much worse will it get?

The whole thing is just disgusting beyond words....The only SMALL consolation to me is that they are GOD'S animals. I truly beleive to the bottom of mt heart that He will make these people pay. All I know is that I better NEVER meet one of these guys. I can't remember a time when I've been more sickened then I am right now. But I want to thank reptilefreak for posting this and thank all of you for speaking up. I am glad to know a place were things like this won't be tolerated. But this whole story needs to go beyond the walls of this forum. So don't let this go on as an un-heard of story.Keep spreading the word. I KNOW I will.

I'm sorry but those seals were not used for furs or meat or anything else.if you look at their bodies you can plainly see that they are mutilated, beaten compairing this to what happens to cows or chickens in just plain uneven. I've talked to freinds who are farmers and they butcher their livestock in the the most humane way possible. Beating any animal to death with a club is in-humane. It's just not in the same league. Also I'm not totally disagreeing with you as far as propaganda either. It's possible...

I would never call that a sport. Killing living things is not at all a sport, INCLUDING hunting. This is coming from a hunter herself, I dont hunt for the "sport of it" nor will I ever. This is just brutal and they diffently suffer. I'd much rather killing seals through the head with a gun than clubbing them any day. That's just abuse.
    Britt's Animals!

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko (Jackie)

1.0.0 Shiba Inu (Riku)

0.1.0 German/Lab (Meadow)

Quote Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
    I would never call that a sport. Killing living things is not at all a sport, INCLUDING hunting. This is coming from a hunter herself, I dont hunt for the "sport of it" nor will I ever. This is just brutal and they diffently suffer. I'd much rather killing seals through the head with a gun than clubbing them any day. That's just abuse.
    Well killing them with a gun is less effective than killing them with the club. You have 3/8 chances of not killing the animal when you shoot it in his head compared to the club, that penetrate the skull and reach the center of the brain, killing the animal effectively.

As for a ''sport'', I live in Canada, and I never heard someone saying that killing seal was a sport. It's marketing. They kill them for their fur and sell them to customer. That's just an industry.
    The only reason that people overexagerated, it's because the animal is cute and looks inofensive. But killing them has a goal, just like we kill rats, rabbits, guinea pig, mice, cows, pigs, chicken turkey, etc.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

Well depends what gun. My 20 guage does the job right O_O

I did. Many times :s I actually have some friends in Quebec and they done it for the "sport" of it. Plus it said on the first post "what kind of "sport" is this?".

Yeah I know but you dont have to club the hell outta them. Make it more ethical and shoot them with a Mossberg. Split-second of pain and no mutilations required. I'm no vegan, just saying though. I always got yelled out at chuckling at some clubbing (it just happends). Yes, I have a sick sense of humor and I have a little to no care for slaughterhouses whatsoever Im just giving Repti-freak a lift. Either way though, a shot to a head with a slug or even a shell is alot less of a hassle then beating the hell outta it till its dismembered.
    Britt's Animals!

0.1.0 Gargoyle Gecko (Jackie)

1.0.0 Shiba Inu (Riku)

0.1.0 German/Lab (Meadow)

Quote Originally Posted by Fai0607 View Post
    Well depends what gun. My 20 guage does the job right O_O

I did. Many times :s I actually have some friends in Quebec and they done it for the "sport" of it. Plus it said on the first post "what kind of "sport" is this?".

Yeah I know but you dont have to club the hell outta them. Make it more ethical and shoot them with a Mossberg. Split-second of pain and no mutilations required. I'm no vegan, just saying though. I always got yelled out at chuckling at some clubbing (it just happends). Yes, I have a sick sense of humor and I have a little to no care for slaughterhouses whatsoever Im just giving Repti-freak a lift. Either way though, a shot to a head with a slug or even a shell is alot less of a hassle then beating the hell outta it till its dismembered.
    Killing the seals with the weapon shown on the picture is the best way to do it. Fast and without pain. They also have to take much fur as possible if you use a big gun, you might lose a good part of the fur compare to the club. There is also a huge difference between (the people that are working to get the fur) or the one like ''your friends'' that do it for their own pleasure.

Plus if you look clearly the picture there is only one that seems ''mutilated'' (the one floating on water and ice) but even so, it doesn't seems to be a seal it could be anything. The other one looks just like they we're kill with the club. Don't be fooled by the blood, when you punctured flesh it has to bleed, it's not because it is mutilated barbaricly. Not to forget that those picture are probably taken by PETA or Greenpace who are specilast of creating video/reports/picture of the worst case scenario or over-exagerated.
    Last edited by Ben3233; 10-20-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

I actually feel stupid about my previous posts because I looked a little farther into PETA and....yeah. What we need is an organization that helps defend animals but doesn't get all carried away. HSUS and PETA tend to exaggerate and over do things.
    1.0.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    0.0.2 African Pyxie Frog
    1.0.0 Blood Python
    1.0.0 Albino Burmese Python
    1.0.0 Blue Tongue Skink
    1.0.0 Basilisk
    0.0.1 Cane Toad
    1.0.0 Albino Western Hognose

Roaches (Dubia & Lateralis)