Thread: Juvenile Argentine Black & White Diet in the wild...

Default Juvenile Argentine Black & White Diet in the wild...

There has been interest in the tegus wild diet and I had a file that a member, tupinambis, of this site sent me. I used the table of info and gave examples of the scientific names to make it easier for everyone to read.

Here is the file. Feel free to start a diet discussion right here.

Note: You will need the Free Adobe Reader 6 or better to read this. Get it from www.adobe.com

Rick

I would have never guessed the number of seeds compared to say ants & Larva were consumed by these tegus. Also the Volume of millipedes compared to rodents.

It really reiterated the need to keep variety in Ladys meals. I printed the data and put it in my Tegu binder. I work with statistics all day in fact thats what I majored in college so I do find an unusual amount of satisfaction from data compiled like this. Thanks keep them coming....

Actually, the diet isn't really all that surprising when you take their environment into context. Although seemingly predatory, tegus are in fact more opportunistic than anything. Seeds and fruits are typically abundant in their habitat, and as for millipedes, all I can say is from my own experiences down there, they make up a HUGE proportion of the animal biomass. Rodents, on the other hand, are not a dominant taxa. Although in urban settings they are a concern in South America, in the wild they are fairly rare.