Thread: I want to learn more....

Default I want to learn more....

I was previously the proud mother of a three year old blue crowned conure whom i was very very atatched to. he passed away a few months ago and I was very upset. now i am looking for a new pet, one that can bond to me and one that is affectionate and loving and loyal but NOT a dog. someone at work told me that he has a red tegu and that it is a wonderful sweet affectionate pet. I want to learn more about them and weather this is the right pet for me.

Tegus are not domesticated like a dog or cat, but still make great pets if you get one from decent genetic stock and handle it from juvenile to adult.

There are 4 species of tegus currently in the pet trade

Argentine Black & White Tegu
    Argentine Red Tegu
    Blue Tegu
    Colombian Black Tegu (Colombian Gold-Phased Black Tegu)

The first two tegus, the Argentines, get larger. Full grown they get upto 4.25 feet. They should have a large enclosure; about 8 feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet tall.

The last two tegus are shorter. Getting to a max of about 3.5 feet. Those are comfortable in an enclosure that is 6 feet long, 3 feet wide & 3 feet tall.

I'd suggest not getting the Colombian species since it naturally more timid and requires a lot more work.

The Red tegu requires a steady source of fruits/veggies in it's diet for proper skin care, the others should have it offered as well, but it's not going to cause serious skin issues if they don't eat it.

I'd suggest for a first time tegu a Blue Tegu if you don't have a lot of room or an Argentine tegu if you have more room. Avoid the Colombian as a first tegu.

Tegus can be trained to use a litter box, can come when called & can be harness trained. They learn their name and can be clicker trained like a dog if you apply enough time to training.

If you have more questions, please feel free to reply. Welcome to The Tegu Community @ www.www.thetegu.com

Rick