Thread: Feeding pills

Default Feeding pills

Oy Vay! I brought Dozer in for a fecal sample and the results are Horrid! She has two different parasites and eggs of possibly another one And elevated salmonella counts. I'm so shocked she wasn't acting sick at all. I can't believe the people who owned her let this happen and i wish that I had taken her in sooner...
    Anyways, so I need tips if any one has any (and i almost hope you don't) on how to feed pills to a lizard. I get the idea...Stuff it in their food but it doesn't seem that easy. The menu for today was wormies and some grapes so I'll try it in a grape I'm just worried because she's never eaten them before. I don't want to waste it.
    Well, I have 10 days and 10 pills to feed so hopefully with your help I can make it all work out.
    Thanks

Pills are easiest if you insert them into the coelomic cavity of whole prey, such as rat or mouse. Alternatively, if your tegu will eat fruit readily, a whole, small item such as a grape or even a bit of banana will often suffice.

I tried it in a grape. I even let a mouse play with the grape a little bit but she didn't take it. In the end I defrosted some chicken and cut a hole into the side of a peice of it, then i shoved In the grape and sqeezed it shut. She ate it so quick that I didn't even notice her do it, haha. I got her to eat the grape And the pill and she was none the wiser! Can i get away with feeding her a small amount of chicken everyday, along with whatever else i would give her? I could probably do it with liver too. My pet store has gross frozen mice. And i just can't bring myself to kill, and then intrude myself upon one of my mice like that. Although, I may be able to persuade my boyfriend to do it. Heh heh heh.