Thread: is he hibernating?

Default is he hibernating?

ecobar my columbian tegu has seem to be motionless and hiding..he stays in his hide all the time he comes out maybe one a week to feed a little or bask then he goes back into his hide. during the winter he was always basking and crawling around his vivarium. i was scared maybe he was dead so i took him out of his hide to give him a bath and he was all huffy and puffy like he usually is. i keep food in there still and looks like he nibbles on the fuzzies,pinkies and turkey, but he doesn't seem to touch the insects i put in. is he hibernating now cause he didn't during the winter? thats when i got him. i live in colorado and we had a late spring these past 2 weeks it has now been getting in the 80-90 during the day and 50-60 during the night. could my climate also be a factor...escobar is about 19 inches....thanx

Not sure if the climate has anything to do with it, as I too live in Colorado and my Colombian is out and about every day. I got mine back in March so I'm assuming it had already went through hibernation. Also my Colombian went through a rapid growth spell since March - When I bought her she was 14 inches - She shed 5 times and grew 5 inches in a little over 2 months so she to is 19 inches now. Maybe yours is going into a growing spell - has it been shedding lately ?

I feel you. Lady is a colombian B&W and was crazy active last week now for some reason she is sleeping the day away. I keep fresh food available but she just nibbles. I don't know why maybe they know something we don't. It has been a crappy spring, So maybe thats it. By now we are usually seeing 60-70 degree weather, but unfortuantly we have not reached that point yet it has been rainy and 40-60.

Ah, Bleek not many people have colombians. Have you had any luck with fruits or veggies? How long have you had Esco?

well i have had escobar since late september he was a little under 12" when i got him he shed at least 4 times since i have had him.ihe was sheding about once a month and he had one last shed before he went to sleep. i have tried a little bit of fruits and some veggies but he doesn't seem to like them but he did eat some bananas and thats it i am still going to try diffrent fruits. i also keep fresh food in there for him but he just sleeps.