View Poll Results: How would you rate Agama International?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1: Great

26 74.29%
  • 2: Above Average

7 20.00%
  • 3: Average

1 2.86%
  • 4: Below Average

1 2.86%
  • 5: Poor

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agama International

Default Agama International

Name: Agama International
    Web: http://www.agamainternational.com
    Owners: Bert & Hester Langerwerf
    Telephone: (205) 665-2192
    Address: 10514 Chilton Rd. 73 Montevallo, AL 35115-9634, U.S.A.
    Tegu Species: T.merianae & T.rufescens

Please do not rate or review this business if you have no first hand experience with them. If you have bought tegus from them or inspected the facility at Agama International, please feel free to post your experiences and rate them above.

Rick

I purchased my first Argentine B&W about three weeks ago from Agama International. I was very pleased with the way they conduct business. The tegu arrived healthy and very curious about his new environment. Bert from Agama was extremely helpful with all of my inquiries before and most importantly, after the sale. I would highly recommend Agama for anyone interested in purchasing a tegu.

I purchased my tegu from Bert on July 28th. It was shipped the day it was born, which is a bit too early to sell an animal, and even came with its egg tooth. It seemed healthy enough for the first month, though not the piggish eater that everyone else claims of their tegus. After 1 month, he became sick and lost most of the use of his front legs. I am not blaming this on Bert, but can't help thinking that it might have something, even a tiny bit, to do with his poor condition after such a short time.

I do think that my situation is probably just a freak incident, but it is the only thing i have to go on.
    The Jay

I agree, hatchlings are too young. I think the service was fast and friendly, but for the sake of the baby we also had a bad experience. We educated ourselves a lot before ever getting one. We got the best products for heat and light and had a 6 foot aquarium converted for him. At first everything was great, then he started not eating crickets (not the only diet but main). We spent a lot on nutritional products and even paid for vet visits for calcium shots, but because he lost it's appetite, he still developed bone disease. He passed away from fatigue/stess even though he was still looking in good health.

That same month we found out about a girl having a Tegu that she couldn't keep anymore, which was skinny and only had a small 8" flourencent for light. We built a custom cage and have had great results with him for almost 3 years with perfect health. If breeders would sell ones 2-3 months old it would be better for the animals.

Whereas I agree with your statements, it is only one side of the equation. For the buyer, an established animal is the key criterion, at least for experienced hobbyists. However, the older an animal is, the more resources it has used up and the more investment has been given by the breeder. For the breeder interested more in money than in quality product, it is in their best interest to sell as soon as possible before much is invested other than the maintenance of the adults. Secondly, in three or four months, several may have died and that will be a further loss to the breeder. Thirdly, there can be other incidental losses, such as killings from aggression, medications for sickly young, etc. These all end up driving the price higher, which cuts into the number of individuals the breeder may sell. So, you have a trade off as a buyer. You can buy early for less and take the chance on health, or wait for older animals and pay an increased rate for the same animal. The trade off is usually not gradually incremental, though. A fresh hatched animal may sell for $100, one that is usually 3 or 4 months old is usually two to four times that price.

I bought 2 yearling from Bert and they did arrive a lil bigger than i would have wanted, but were extremely healthy. I do worry about them taming down due to the age they were shipped. I have had some problems with them trying to bit, but lately its been getting better. The Tegu's are awsome! He told me he had a pair that was insepratable and that he didn't want to break them up. i told him perfect I will take those two. Now, these two B/W are toltally in love with each other and it is great to watch them play and flirt all day :lol: ...(i think) :P

I buy wholesale from Bert. He has great stock. However this last batch of babies left a little to be desired. I think it will also depend on what time of year you buy them too.

Bert and Hester are great people and will go out of their way to make things right with you if you just explain what happened.

Sometimes these things are beyond their control however. I dont think any reptile dealer in the world will give you more than 7 days to claim a problem or death.

Just my two cents.
    Sincerely,
    Jerry Huey and Dustin Thompson
    Wholesale Reptile Ventures
    (850)862-0394

I have two tegus, 2 aussie waterdragons, 2 beardies, one jeweled lacerta all from agama. Never a sick day...never a problem with any of them and they still live happily in my her room. I think everyone who knows me, knows Bert is someone I highly respect...I think he's a wonderful man and an honest breeder.
    Beyond my personal feelings, for him I would have to say I have never had a problem with his stock or shipping. The animals arrived when he said they would in the condition he said they were in before I bought them.
    As far as the tegu not eating as stated above I wonder what month the animal was shipped in. Sometimes they just are not ready to eat due to pre, post or mid hibernation mode--or stress.
    Each animal who is shipped will react differently sometimes.
    My first wd was a bit flighty but nothing more then any other hatchling aussiedragon. He calmed down after he attained some size and security.
    The second one was in need of paxil or something. He was a nut and still is. They may be reptiles but they each have their own personality.
    I really think it's an individual thing.
    Many people who keep a small collection (not saying that is the case above) put thier animals under a microscope. That close attention sometimes ends up killing them in the end.
    Anyone who owns ball pythons can attest to that. They have the ability to go off feed for over a year with no problems. But you tell someone with little experience that when the owner is in the 3rd month, and they don't really believe you .
    They end up trying to force feed...pinky press--tube the poor snake...or they bring it to a vet who 70% of the time know less then they do and get the animal injected with things that in the end DO make the animal sick--and worse stressed to the point of no return---sometimes resulting in death.
    In cases like this sometimes less is more.
    Just my quarter's worth of advice.
    But as far as Bert goes I always look to him first and try and find another reputable breeder only when he is not breeding what I need.
    I find his animals to be hardy and strong, nice lineage. And he has great customer service too.
    Yours,
    NiColeRuSSell

"I'm gonna do what I should've done in the first place. I'll find her, wherever she is, tie her up, torture her... until she likes me again."
    -Spike

varnyard Guest

I have bought somewhere close to 300 tegus from Bert in the past. Bert is awesome to deal with. I might also add he is a very close and dear friend. He has helped me be the tegu breeder I am today. My hat goes off to that man, my tegu mentor for sure!!

Bert, is the one that made keeping tegus what it is today, a lot of people added to it, but bert is the forefather of many of our tegus as well as other lizards.

Bert was also the one that brought in the super worms and bred them that we find in almost every pet shop in the US today.

Bert Rocks!!!

I totally agree Varnyard. Bert will take the time to teach you what you need to know. He helped me out even before I got my tegu. I have never seen anyone respond to e-mails so quickly either! I think that many people out there don't know about him since he is an "old time" breeder. Nothing of color morphs and all that is more common in the pet trade today. He is a very humble man too. I had the pleasure/honor of meeting him at the Daytona show this year and we had a lot of fun. He has a funny accent too..lol. My tegu (Achilles) is doing great and is as healthy as can be and with the best temperament....no temper at all...lol! He probed him for me at the show too. I actually took video of it on my digital camera but I wouldn't know how to show you guys on here. If anyone wants to see it I will post a link or something if you show me how. And yes he was the one to bring superworms here...I don't think many people know that either. Nicolerussell, my friend held one of Bert's adult australian water dragon at the show...they are beautiful animals.
    1.0.0 american pit bull terrier
    1.0.0 arg. b/w tegu
    0.1.0 crested gecko
    1.0.0 hogg island boa
    0.1.0 southern painted turtle
    1.1.0 calabar burrowing pythons
    0.0.1 burmese python
    1.1.0 het pieds
    R.I.P. Bert Langerwerf & Steve Irwin