Thread: feeding time

Default feeding time

I'm wondering what is the best time of day to feed my tegu. I cant feed it when it wakes up because I'm already at work, and I don't get home till 5pm. my tegu dosn't seem very hungary when I do arrive home and I'm wondering if time of day could possibly affect his appetite. If this is the case I'll have to convince my gf to feed it, Which is kind of a shame as I take great pride in feeding my animals

I hear you... I get up at 5:45am "Lady" doesn't get up until 1100am -1200noon. So I put her feeding bowl in her enclosure before I leave about 6:45am. When I get home at 6:00pm thats when I find out how much she has eaten. I wish I had the time and opportunity to feed her but my schedule does not permit it. But, I do have to say I find numerous people that there Tegus attack when fed. My thought is they have started to associate the handlers hand with feeding. I don't have this trouble and don't have to retrain my tegu because of it.

be carefull leaving food in the tank while you are working. Ants love fruit and will piss off a tegu. Mine eats after i get home from work around 6 pm and he eats fine

i dont have a set time due to my work schedule so sometimes he is fed in the mornings sometimes afternoons or evenings.he is growing like a weed.

Hey Jordan,
    My Tegu eats p/k from tongs or placed in a feed bowl, they will eat when hungry and you dont have to worry about timing when you put the rodents p/k in the bowl, this may work for you.
    Alan

When I was still keeping tegus feeding time was late at night! I'm talking 8:00pm-2:00am. That was when I found they were the most active. I ran the lights 24/7 which may or maynot of had something to do with it.

Again Alan is right on. A feed bowl is great, just don't let food items go bad!
    John

8 pm to 2 am? must have been the 24 hr lights. My tegus wake up at 11 am and go back to sleep at 5 pm everyday like clock work! They get most active from about 1 pm to 4 pm.
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish