Thread: Quadruple shed!?!?!?

Default Quadruple shed!?!?!?

Not too long ago, about a month and a half Dozer had a really tough shed. It was coming off literally one scale at a time. Before she even had a chance to get it all off she began to shed again underneath it. This one was a little better and we were able to get it all off and she was shed free for maybe a week. Three days ago she started shedding again and today, when i took her out to soak her for a bit I can see that she is starting to shed again underneath this one! Do tegu's go through growth spurts or what the heck is going on?? She has been gaining some weight now that she is healthy again but really, a shed under a shed just started? My poor baby is getting stressed out with the constant soakings. I'm going on vacation soon and I don't want to leave her like this! Ideas anyone??

yes tegus at a young age go through huge growth spurts. higher humidity will help her have a etter shed. to help with humidity you may want to add a mister to her cage. that will boost the humidity and thus helping her have a better shed. also its a good way to keep the humidity up when you are on vaccation. i hope this helps
    "To be great is to be misunderstood. . ."

She's not young though....I don't know for sure but my guess is two years old? almost three feet long I think the doctor said about 3 pounds...

rapid succession ecdysis is also frequently a sign of illness in squamates. If your tegu is 3' in length and only 3lbs, sounds like it is underweight for sure. You might want to have your tegu checked for parasites for one, but there could be so many things.

She was very much underweight when I got her, she wasn't very well taken care of at her last home... She looked much like a snake on legs. She didn't have a big appetite either so I took her into the vet and she took treatment for some parasites that she had. Now her appetite is well... carnivorous (just like it should be) and she looks fat now. (compared to how I've gotten used to her) I assumed she would start shedding because of the weight she was gaining but a shed under a shed just seems ridiculous.
    It seems normal for her to be putting on weight I'm just afraid that it's all happening too fast.