Thread: my tegu is not eating

Default my tegu is not eating

I just got a tegu from agama international last wednesday. Well it has almost been a week and he has only had about two bites of food. I have offered crickets, catfood, eggs, meat, chicken, strawberries. He ate one bite of catfood and left it alone. He ate one piece of chicken and wouldn't eat anymore. He just watches the crickets run around with no interest. I don't know what to do now. He shouldn't have any health problems since burt is a good breeder and he just came from there. I don't know what to do any suggestions would be appreciated.

First question what kind of Tegu is it ? the reason for this question is you will notice on this site their are different types of tegus and each type has its own different diet. Also, most tegus take some time to get ajusted to their new environment sometimes this process takes two days sometimes this will take a month depends on the age of the tegu as well as other factors. The best medicine is to make him/her feel as comfortable as possible humidity, good basking area.

Default tregu not eating

It is an argentine black and white. He has a nice basking spot and I mist the enclosure daily. The humidity may be a little low though.

Hey Redrott,
    I think this could be a temperature issue, does your Tegu enclosure have a thermometer, what is the temp inside enclosure, have a basking spot. Might try not misting till later on after this no eating stuff is resolved.
    Has your new Tegu drank water yet.
    Has your Tegu pooped a healthy one. He may need a warm soak in shallow water, real shallow water 1/2 inch.
    Could be he needs to be a little warmer, drink water, poop and then try pinkies or fuzzys, just a few ideas, let me know later if this worked if you decide to try, this worked for me, best wishes!
    Alan

I'm with Alan on this one! I'd check temps! I would advice Against feeding dog or cat food! Please give Agama a call! They customer service is great and they would be more then happy to help you fix the problem your facing! Always go back to where you purchased the animal! If for some reason they don't help you then ask around.
    John