Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New enclosure in progress - Updated 10/08 - 2nd finished!!

Nice job. Those cages look great.
    Animals: Too many.

Thanks!!

A few more of Eragon in her new home.

Home At Last!!

Wandering.

Wandering II.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

Wow very nice, great job!
    Thanks for sharing

Awesome!! That's sort of what I was considering doing here, but I hadn't gotten the plans together, just sort of thinking of how to do it. Now.. I can just copy you!
    Thanks.. they will be some happy tegus.
    Could you get a pic of the inside to show the lighting? Are there shots of it in progress?
    *edit*
    Nevermind, I'm an idiot! I didn't see this was page 3!!!
    AWESOME AWESOME Project!
    Raw Bear with Salt tastes like Oysters.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf-hound
    Awesome!! That's sort of what I was considering doing here, but I hadn't gotten the plans together, just sort of thinking of how to do it. Now.. I can just copy you!
    Thanks.. they will be some happy tegus.
    AWESOME AWESOME Project!
    Thanks!! Ozzie seems OK in the 75G but I'll probably build a smaller version (4ft x 2ft) for her since she's so much smaller (26" vs. 42") than the others.

Dave, having built something similar, I know how much work, time, and planning building something like this takes. Good job! My only question/concern would be how to keep your heat and humidity level high enough with those screen doors on the front. Do you live in an area that has normally high temps and humidity? Here in Chicago in the winter I'd almost have to leave my misting system on all the time and add extra lights to keep the heat and humidity levels high enough. How are you able to maintain those?

Again, great construction job,

Warner

Quote Originally Posted by Warner
    Dave, having built something similar, I know how much work, time, and planning building something like this takes. Good job! My only question/concern would be how to keep your heat and humidity level high enough with those screen doors on the front. Do you live in an area that has normally high temps and humidity? Here in Chicago in the winter I'd almost have to leave my misting system on all the time and add extra lights to keep the heat and humidity levels high enough. How are you able to maintain those?

Warner
    Thanks!! You enclosure was my inspiration to use the vinyl flooring. At first I thought it was overkill, but I'm glad I did.

I added plexiglas to the inside of the doors, a few months after building, to hold in the humidity. The screen would work fine down south where there's lots of humidity. Up north the air is very dry.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDragon

Warner
    Thanks!! You enclosure was my inspiration to use the vinyl flooring. At first I thought it was overkill, but I'm glad I did.

I added plexiglas to the inside of the doors, a few months after building, to hold in the humidity. The screen would work fine down south where there's lots of humidity. Up north the air is very dry.
    Ahhh....good call! That would work. How's the enclosure working out for you? Yeah...the vinyl flooring seemed a little overkill to me too...but when I went down the list of options that would definitely handle the humidity, it really turned out to be the best one. Gluing it down was not real fun, but it's done now.

Warner

PS - Yeah, it DOES get dry up here in the winter!

PPS - Thanks fo the complement on the flooring idea.

How's the enclosure working out for you?
    There's doing great!! The only thing I would do differently is not make to doors out of 2x2's and use 3/4" plywood. Most of the doors have warped, making it difficult to unlatch some. I think the plywood would be much more stable.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDragon
    How's the enclosure working out for you?
    There's doing great!! The only thing I would do differently is not make to doors out of 2x2's and use 3/4" plywood. Most of the doors have warped, making it difficult to unlatch some. I think the plywood would be much more stable.
    Obviously my doors are sliders and made from laminated glass, so I don't have that issue. I used 1/2" plywood for the sides, back, and top and used 3/4" plywood for the floor. All of that is on 2x4 pressure treated framing. Strong as heck! Also HEAVY as heck! Even moving it in two halves...it was a struggle for me and my teenage son moving it down the stairs to the basement....I'm glad I only had to do that ONCE. The good news is that the cage will last for as long as I want it to. I just ordered a replacement Megaray bulb....mine is still working but the UV levels are supposed to start falling off after about 18 months so I'm going to replace it as part of the normal maintenance.

Take care!

Warner