Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New enclosure in progress - Updated 10/08 - 2nd finished!!

Nice looking cage.

Sweet construction going on there. Keep close eye on the costs so others may be interested in making there own too.

Up to about $170, including all hardware. I still need to get the 1/4" plywood for the skin. I forget how many sheets I need. Maybe another $50. Plus primer and paint, maybe another $40 to $50. So that would be an estimated $260 each. I've got to build another one for the smaller Tegu in a couple of months when it's cooler. It was in the low 90's today and humid!!! 8O Same this tomorrow, but we'll be in Philadelphia to see King Tut and Hamburg for the reptile show.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

Default New pics as of 8/14

Pics of inside.

Finished without trim (will cover all outside edges and above and below doors) and paint.

Beautiful cage! I can't wait to start mine, but I'm still planning. Don't know if I should even build one as I'm planning on setting up an outside enclosure...can't decide. lol!
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Damien and Miss Priss)
    0.1.0 Crested Geckos (Priscilla)
    2.6.0 Leopard Gecko (Tonka, Rhaco, Hermine, Talia, Kalypso, Serendipity, Faith, and Sprinkles)
    0.0.1 Henkeli Leaf Tail (Houdini)
    0.1.0 Chacoan Black and White Tegu on her w

Quote Originally Posted by reptilefreak
    Beautiful cage! I can't wait to start mine, but I'm still planning. Don't know if I should even build one as I'm planning on setting up an outside enclosure...can't decide. lol!
    Thanks!! I planned for a few weeks and have been working on it on and off for 3 weeks. I need to start priming but I can't decide if I want to try and prime and paint it fully assembled (without doors on) of take it apart and paint the individual pieces. That could take a few weeks, I don't have an area big enough to hang all of them to dry.

Where do you live?? If you live in the South and give them 2 feet of mulch or soft dirt to burrow in he should be able to hibernate OK. Bobby said they can survive a few days as low as 35 degrees (hibernating only)!! Otherwise the burrow temps should be in the 50's.

It gets way too cold up here to build an outdoor enclosure.

The cage looks great so far. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Default Almost done!!

The first one is almost done after a few weeks of delays. Tonight we assembled the two halves and installed the 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth that the lights will sit on. Tomorrow I will install the mylar backgrounds on the side panels and install all panels. Then all the outsides of the panels need to be primed and 2 coats of paint. Then add the trim. I'm hoping Phoenix (Red Tegu) will go into it next Sunday, even though the trim may not be done. He'll be the only Tegu in town with a parquet floor!!

Here's the sheet vinyl floor being installed. I had to use every clamp I have along with a bunch of extra pavers to hold the vinyl down while the glue dries. I thought Warner was crazy for putting it in his, but we got 2 pieces for $3 a linear foot ($36 total)!!

Two halves assembled!

Screen added.

looks real good, but i think it's gonna be hard to get in to clean with those small door openings. other than that great work.
    0.1.0 arg b&w tegu-chubbs
    1.0.0 ball python-debo
    0.1.0 colombian red tail boa-sheba
    0.1.0 blood python-phatty red

Thanks!

It's not too bad, the opening is 13" high. I just leaned into it, I can almost reach the back wall. I should be able to with a scooper. I've got long arms! :wink: