Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emperor scorplings

My female was in a tank with another. I don't know if it was WC or CB since it was a small mom and pop pet shop. A lot of people have baby scorps, but I'm not sure if those end up in pet stores. The original mom passed :( but I have since gotten another female (smaller, don't think she's pregnant).

As for the babies, mom snacked on two (eww), I gave one to my daughter's biology teacher, and kept two myself. Of those two, one would never, never eat, and eventually was snacked on by his cagemate (again, eww). I had the last one for a long time and it was eating like a pig and doing great. Then one day I found it dead. I think perhaps the humidity had gotten too low. (?)

This is not the best picture, but....
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

So cute!! I have a pair of Emperor scorpions, and I think the female may be pregnant. Everything I read says the extra humidity is the most important factor for the babies. Have you noticed any interesting proto-social behaviors? I saw some stuff my scorps were doing that looked about as social as some fish behavior, like apparent shared vigilance.
    I enjoy the company of large and dangerous creatures.

Quote Originally Posted by ChaimsMom
    So cute!! I have a pair of Emperor scorpions, and I think the female may be pregnant. Everything I read says the extra humidity is the most important factor for the babies. Have you noticed any interesting proto-social behaviors? I saw some stuff my scorps were doing that looked about as social as some fish behavior, like apparent shared vigilance.
    Hey, ChaimsMom Humidity is important in terms of molting...possibly the single largest cause of scorpling loss is due to molt failure from insufficient humidity...if there is not enough humidity the scorpling may be unable to free itself from it's exuvium.
    Having said that, there is such a thing as too much humidity...if you see a lot of condensate on the walls of the tank,....that's too much humidity..
    If your female is indeed pregnant, you can look forward to a long gestation, varying between 7 and 14 (or more) months. Your newborn scorplings will be carried on Mom's back, pallid and white. Only when they begin to disperse from Mom's back will you need to concern yourself with feeding them. I might suggest raw strip steak at that time, simply because strip steak doesn't run away. Once you're sure that your new scorplings have learned how to eat and have fattened up a bit on strip steak, you may want to offer a few pre-killed crickets. I have extensive care-sheets available at: amergin@comcast.net.
    On the whole, Pandinus imperator is easy to raise, and I don't think you'll have any problems. I do strongly suggest investing in a digital thermometer gun, available at www.harborfreight.com for about $40.00.
    Your P. imperators will do best at about 86 degrees F and with a temp gun, there's no guesswork. Get one...you'll never regret it
    GMB ( Rick )
    amergin@comcast.net
    "Be mindful of your thoughts.
    Thoughts crystallize into habit and
    habit solidifies into circumstance."

I'm saving up for one of those heat guns! My P. imp enclosure is kept right around 86 degrees with a heating pad-style heater (not a light). I'm not seeing condensation on the walls but I haven't got a hygrometer in there so I'm not sure what the humidity level is exactly. They're on a substrate of mixed burrowing clay, sphagnum moss, and coconut shell, and they have made a pretty impressive set of multi-level tunnels. Fascinating little creatures!
    I enjoy the company of large and dangerous creatures.

I did not see any social behaviors (I'm assuming you are referring to a pair of scorps?) because I any had the one female. Apparently she was quite the sperm carrier. She was with other scorps when I purchased her, but had been solitary for about 7-8 months. We were quite surprised her at home!! 8O
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets