Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blaptica dubia (Orange Spotted Roach )

Default Blaptica dubia (Orange Spotted Roach )

Anyone here breed these roaches. I am wondering what foods they favor over others. so far i have found they like grapes and orange slices over potatoes or carrots.

having these guy in the house has been a dream compared to keeping crickets. so far !! :lol: :wink:

We've had them for almost a year. We found thay like grapes and oranges also. I feed them whatever our Bearded Dragons are eating (except for crickets! ).

They took 4 months before they started breeding. That was a bit disappointing. We were expecting to stop buying crickets.

We still have crickets as the main feeders. The roaches don't breed fast enough. I was feeding the males to one of of BD's that really likes them. It only took a couple of weeks to eat most of them. They're off line for the next few months to build up again. We have a Blue Tongue Skink that is eating some of the babies but I want more of them to grow into adults so I've shut him off too.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

Dave, how big is your roach colony? I'm hoping to start my own soon but I'm kinda of unsure of how many adults to start with. (maybe 20 pairs of so...)

Start big!!! I bought 200 nymphs from Nomad85 on BeardedDragon.org last September. About $57 with shipping. He sells them off when he has a surplus.

If you want it to grow faster, start with more. Remember they have a 30 day gestation period. Depending on the age of the nymphs you get it may take 2 to 3 months before they are old enough to reproduce. Or start with all adults (alot more expensive).

i'll get plenty of nymphs, i just didn't know how many adults to starts with, yea adults are a lot more expensive!

The more adults you start with, the faster you'll start producing babies.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveDragon
    Start big!!! I bought 200 nymphs from Nomad85 on BeardedDragon.org last September. About $57 with shipping. He sells them off when he has a surplus.

If you want it to grow faster, start with more. Remember they have a 30 day gestation period. Depending on the age of the nymphs you get it may take 2 to 3 months before they are old enough to reproduce. Or start with all adults (alot more expensive).
    wow 57$ for 200 nymphs wish i could get them that cheap!!!!

Hopefully mine start to breed soon. good thing i got young adults when i bought them. i would hate to wait 4 months for nymphs then another 4 for sizable feeders lol.

Here is Nomad85's roach site. http://www.freewebs.com/nomad2685/forsale.htm

I don't think he can ship roachs to Canada. ??

i got some kind of shaker virus that my mcAfee could not remove from that site also:(

Quote Originally Posted by wasco
    I don't think he can ship roachs to Canada. ??

i got some kind of shaker virus that my mcAfee could not remove from that site also:(
    Hmmm...Canada might be a problem. I've seen threads in other forums looking for roaches in Canada. They're hard to find. Importing might be a problem.

I just did a complete scan of my computer (28 minutes) and no virus after viewing his site.