Thread: New Tegu

Default New Tegu

I just picked it up today. It's an Argentine black and white. It's 10" long. How old would that make it?
    0.2.0 Rottwielers
    1.0.0 Golden Retriever
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 B&W Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Cool Cat
    0.1.0 Very Understanding Wife

I posted you an answear in the welcome section...but to repeat....

Probably only a couple months old.
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

Thanx. I'm just getting used to this site. I belong to some dirtbike sites as well but the responces just don't come as fast as I'd like.
    0.2.0 Rottwielers
    1.0.0 Golden Retriever
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 B&W Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Cool Cat

Just A Heads Up: careful not to make your Tegus water dish a death trap,
    I mean don't give him a really big or deep dish filled with water he will not be able to get out of, try a six inch diameter by three inch deep dish filled half way for starters, safer for the little one! Water is very important for the neonates and they will drink regularly especially after having a meal. Poop should be firm not runny. Careful not to feed BIG crickets or leave them roaming freely in cage, they can kill baby Tegus I have seen them go after the saline in the eyes and eat into the baby. When you feed Crickets they should be no longer than the Tegus head is wide, 2 & 3 week old criks best, or, no wings on criks is good guide for feeding!!!
    Alan

Words from George Carlin (His wife recently passed away)
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away"

response come pretty fast here...esspecially from losers like me who check in 3-4 times a day
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

Should he go after the cricket right away? If he doesn't how to I round the little buggers up? His cage is pretty big. Also, what about mealworms?
    0.2.0 Rottwielers
    1.0.0 Golden Retriever
    2.0.0 Bearded Dragon
    0.0.1 B&W Argentine Tegu
    1.0.0 Cool Cat

When I have had baby Tegus they have eaten cricks every other day sometimes a little longer, dusted with miner-all for indoor reptiles, mine that were 10-12 inches ate about 15 small cricks at a time, I too had free roaming cricks but had to take the extra ones out his tank for fear of cricks killing the Tegu baby. I thought about the safety issue and came up with the idea of feeding my baby tegu in a separate 10 gallon tank, the idea being that I would feed a 20 count of medium cricks, watch the baby eat and when he was full or no longer had the food response I would take the little guy out and back into his tank, then I would count how many cricks were left and come up with an exact number of cricks eaten. Buying cricks in 20 lots can be costly so I would recommend that you buy larger lots and make a large home for cricks, 20 gal tank or bigger if possible or NEW trash can, and gut load them so your baby can have nice ones to eat without having to run to the pet or reptile store every other day for cricks, tiny mice pups that are a few days old are also good to feed a couple to 2-3 weeks after he's been with you. If your tegu doesn't eat them right away simply put the mouse pup in a baggie and put in freezer for another day. Meal Worms: Stay clear from using meal worms for many good reasons until your Tegu is 25 or more inches long, WHY: meal worms have a very tough External skin case that can become very hard to pass and the benefit nutritionally is NOT that great compared to the risk. Another reason is that meal worms can bite and seriously injure a baby Tegu. It is important that all baby B/W Argentine Tegus be fed a Carnivorous (meat type) diet for the first year meaning do not introduce fruit yet because the meat has lots more benefit at this age for the baby Tegu than than does fruit. MEAT food good for the baby; Wax worms, Cricks (medium without WINGS) ground Turkey & Chicken, live or frozen thawed baby new born mice pups, this is a SAFE diet and ALWAYS use a good quality mineral supplement sprinkled on all food items given to your baby each feeding. After he eats he may want to bask under heat bulb/lamp then go sleep in a good hiding place or burry himself under substraight and sleep off the meal. Get a good thermometer and careful of not letting temps get to high above 88ish or below 70, baby Tegus can not tolerate the extreme heat or cold that a 2-3 year old Tegu can.
    DOG & CAT Food, not good for baby Tegus, these foods have allot of ingredients in them that are not good for baby Tegus namely salt & preservatives and the protein level has been known to blow out kidney's. BOOKS on Tegu keeping important, get a few on keeping exotic lizards. All I have shared today has worked for me, parts or all may work for you, If you need some other ideas e-mail me at: rajrojas@msn.com, Later!!
    Alan