Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, please...-Respitory infection???

Default Help, please...-Respitory infection???

My tegu is showing me signs of being sick-ie...problems with its balance , very "sucked up" looking (skinny) ,left nostril appears to be plugged with a "whitish" looking mucus. These signs came on strong in less than two days.This one particular tegu is my most aggressive eater of this tank,also the biggest "ham" of the bunch.I am very concerned for its health.Should i try to gently remove the mucus from its nose? I have her in the tub in warm water to hopefully help loosen things up .I am grateful to all and anyone who can advise me PROMPTLY with sugsts/advice.

Is the breathing labored? Is there rasping or bubbling sounds when the animal breaths? Is there bubbly discharge at the nares? Occular discharge? Does the animal mouth breath? Does the skin retain elasticity when pinched or does it tent?

quarentine her, raise the temps (within reason ), don't put her in water, lower the humidity, see a vet if it doesn't get better within a couple days
    Elliot

1.2.0 blues
    1.0.0 red
    0.2.0 family

...and way too many fish

Hmmm...geee...perhaps some veterinary care might be in order?

Hi,
    Many Tegus that live in close quarters to one another, can and do get ill. They have to compete for everything that a solo Tegu has access to 24/7.
    In this case it may have been the basking area. May have been a soaking that he had and no basking/hot spot for him when he got back into his tank, like us, Tegus need to get very warmed up after a soaking/bath. Could he have been to cold or in a draft a week or so ago? I'm thinking he has had the problem for 4-8 days already due to weight loss and discharge of mucus. An Exotic/Reptile Veterinarian is the ONLY thing to do now. Baytril is a moderately safe broad spectrum antibacterial that I have used over the past 25 years for instances EXACTLY like your situation. In your case I'd use the 2.5 serum and give .3 OR .5 or 3/5 tenths of a cc for 6 days alternating injection sites each time. I know Vets don't like to here clients say use this or use that (they get offended and bitchy) but if he doesn't mention Baytril you might just want to ask what are the benifts of Baytril injectable, he might say yes and show you how to use it. I'm not suggesting that this is a casual situation and or that Baytril is like an aspirin but the stuff works!!!......Let me know how all this works out,pleez
    Get your boy to a vet very soon!!
    Alan

My e-mail is: rajrojas@msn.com
    call me if you need to talk more on this!
    Alan

Actually, what most of us that work in veterinary medicine get offended and bitchy about is people who give out diagnosis with no qualifications. And not only suggest drugs with no examination but give out dosage information without even knowing the very basics like...gee.. the weight of the animal. It's this kind of misinformation that WE have to try to correct after some poor owner who didn't know better took advice because someone "at the pet store said..." or someone "on a message board said...". I know that you're just trying to be helpful. But the information that you're giving out is just plain bad (other than, "get your boy to a vet very soon").

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Hi,
    Many Tegus that live in close quarters to one another, can and do get ill. They have to compete for everything that a solo Tegu has access to 24/7.
    In this case it may have been the basking area. May have been a soaking that he had and no basking/hot spot for him when he got back into his tank, like us, Tegus need to get very warmed up after a soaking/bath. Could he have been to cold or in a draft a week or so ago? I'm thinking he has had the problem for 4-8 days already due to weight loss and discharge of mucus. An Exotic/Reptile Veterinarian is the ONLY thing to do now. Baytril is a moderately safe broad spectrum antibacterial that I have used over the past 25 years for instances EXACTLY like your situation. In your case I'd use the 2.5 serum and give .3 OR .5 or 3/5 tenths of a cc for 6 days alternating injection sites each time. I know Vets don't like to here clients say use this or use that (they get offended and bitchy) but if he doesn't mention Baytril you might just want to ask what are the benifts of Baytril injectable, he might say yes and show you how to use it. I'm not suggesting that this is a casual situation and or that Baytril is like an aspirin but the stuff works!!!......Let me know how all this works out,pleez
    Get your boy to a vet very soon!!
    Alan

At the same time, not all vets know what they are doing. I know of one that performed surgery on a pair of tokay geckoes to remove their venom glands ( 1.geckoes don't have venom glands and 2.that type of surgery was strictly prohibited in that region), another that on an x-ray identified the radio-opaque stomach of a tegu as the colon (see my photo gallery), and another who recommended that an aphagic turtle be put in a pot of beef soup and LITERALLY be placed on the stove at low heat. I could go on with diagnoses and recommendations I've seen vets give that would shock and astound people. Many vets (not all) haven't a sense of humility and aren't willing to admit when they are dealing with an animal that is out of their field of experience. Yes, if your animal is sick, it is best to take it to a vet instead of getting advice from an anonymous source that has no actual inkling of what is wrong, but do yourself a favour, research what vets in your area ACTUALLY have the expertise to deal with your animal and a good reputation backing them (check with your local herp club) or may be doing your tegu as much good as taking advice from anonymous sources.

Get over it Bud,....trying to help, giving an idea to the problem is the point
    here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan
    Get over it Bud,....trying to help, giving an idea to the problem is the point
    here.

You get over it. Your advice sucked. .3-.5 ml dosage based on what? The animal could be 50 grams or 500 grams. Where did you come up with those numbers? You're basically just making **** up. Get real. It's advice like this that kills people pets.