Thread: Protruding vent

Default Protruding vent

Hi my little tegu hatchlings vent is protruding just a little bit and has a light pink color to it is this normal should I be concerned I have been keeping my eye on it for the past few days but no change. I feed him crickets, superworms, pinkines, turkey, and fish I have tried to get him to take many various fruits but no luck as of yet.

He may have a prolaspe.
    These directions are for a Iguana but work for any lizard as far as I know.

http://www.anapsid.org/prolapse.html

Brat!
    Tegu's are like potato chips,you can't have just one!
    I now have 4.

well I found this thread and this is what my tegus vent looks like only not quite as irritated. http://www.thetegu.com/postlite3114-...ding.html+vent I think it might be from the superworms I have been feeding him as he is only 60 something grams and the superworms are still good size for him.

Soak him in some warm water for 10 minutes or so. Use some KY Jelly or Triple Antibiotic as a lubricant applied to the prolapse and gently push the prolapse back in.

As long as it doesn't get damaged (dry, ripped, etc) it should be ok, but get it back inside as soon as possible. If you can not do as suggested above you should make a vet appointment immediately.

Rick

Ok I am going to try that tommorow but I am not sure if it will push in as it might just be inflammed.

The warm water will help with the swelling. Some people recommend soaking in warm sugar water, but I have have luck with just warm water. The lubricant helps lubricate and stop irritation.

Rick

ok yea that should help, but if it dosnt push in at all do you think i should give it some time to see if it heals or make a vet appt. Im no professional but to me it just looks inflammed rather then his insides protruding out. Im also taking the supers out of his diet until hes bigger.

Well I just gave him his 10 minute warm soaking and massaged neosporin onto his bum now I am going to keep a close eye on him to make sure the cypress dosnt stick to him.....

If it hasn't gone back in, I would put the tegu into a sterile tank with damp paper towel as a substrate until you can get a vet appointment made.

Rick

It hasnt gone back in but there really isnt anything hanging out to push back in, it is just the vent itself is inflammed, I took a look at it a little while ago and no cypress was sticking to him. I think I am just going to give it a couple days to see if the inflammation goes down.