Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What started it all for you with reptiles?

Its really neat seeing how every one got into reptiles. In response to ApriliaRufo I'm still amazed at how many people are afraid of them or have no idea how to care for them. I get to see it all the time though when I'm at the reptile shelter. Cowher I love that picture it makes it look like its singing.

I see you started this thread on BeardedDragon.org. It will be interesting to see what they say.
    1.1 Blue Tegus, 1.1 Cuban Rock Iguanas
    1.1 Bearded Dragons, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon
    0.1 Columbian Boa, 1.0 Ball Python, 0.0.1 Corn

Well when i was like 12 back in 1989 my parents were looking at salt water fish tank setups,well i've always like anoles so my mom being a animal lover got me one,then my father thought they were cool and got a wild caught green iguana a that was a real nightmare,then i got my first iguana a little while after then it died cause i didn't give it the right diet and at age 12 i was not all that sure what i was doing,plus the petstore guy didn't know his but from a hole in the gruong so he died.Then i bought another but this time my regular vet said i should take the new iguana to a herp vet and i was lucky there were two in my are and he got me on the right track and my iguana lived 7 years long.Then i started doing my owne research and started keeping savannah monitors,then bearded dragons,then blackthroat monitors,capewhitethroats,my veryfirst rhino iguana,then my first Argentine blk/wht tegu 8 years ago and then 13 more later no i have my two only my male chacoan from varnyard herps and my male red tegu also from bobby this year.These guys are the best i ever had.Bobby is super honest and has to notch tegus.And thats how it all started for me no being into reptiles 18 years.

When I was about 5 or 6, I used to catch toads and snakes and keep them in shoe boxes under my bed. Well, my mom found them and freaked out (she HATES snakes!) it never squelched my passion for animals and I just kept on learning and collecting. I owned my first real reptile, a Savannah Monitor, when I went to the U of Fl. I had him for a couple of years, then when I had to move, I had to get rid of him. Fast forward quite a few years and my kids are in love with Croc Hunter. My 7yo daughter wants a bearded dragon, so we say OK. Then my 5yo daughter wants a corn snake...OK. Now we have about 30 resident animals and that fluctuates during breeding season.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I got started really really young. I was super into dinosaurs and fossils but rocks are kind of boring to a 4 year old after a bit and I figured out I couldnt go to the pet store and by a dinosaur. (although at a petstore I used to work at we had a "t-rex" brand sign and people thought we really sold them, man that was fun)

I caught some newt out at my aunts house when I was about 6 and I was hooked. I came home and my mom bought me some green anoles from the pet store and that was the end. Ive had reptiles since that day. I joined a local herp society and found out about monitors. My mom basically vetoed that decision (i was probably 10 at the time I dont blame her) and when I got my license I went to the pet store and snook my first sav home. we was pretty awesome but like most of them was full of parasites and I lost him. From there on out Ive been in love with the big ones and kept them all the way up until my blue tegu I just got a few weeks ago.

Unlike all you folks who got into herps as youngsters, I was in my mid 50's before I decided I wanted one (or more). I've always been fascinated by large lizards, then one day while shopping in a Petsmart for cat food, I saw a Uromastix and decided to consider adding a lizard to my family. The Expo in Daytona Beach was coming up so I decided to attend just to get an education, not intending to buy; however I came home with a beautiful Green Tiger Water Dragon, a cage, lighting and all the other supplies. Unfortunately, I lost my sweet dragon almost 2 years ago when he ate something while roaming free in the house. My home now has 21 bearded dragons, a Florida Kingsnake, and my latest addition, Domino, a 20" juvie Argentine B/W tegu I purchased at this years Expo. She's the joy of our home, very tame, and lots of fun. Now 63 years old, my "old lady" friends don't want to come over any more. LOL. Oh, well. I have my herps to keep me company, plus my husband and our 10-year old granddaughter who will bring anything home that slithers or crawls.

Lin
    Lin

1.0.0 Australian Water Dragon
    6.9.0 Bearded Dragons
    1.0.0 Florida Kingsnakes
    0.1.0 Cornsnakes
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 Dog

RIP Domino

Default my first reptile

the very first reptile i ever owned was when i was about 6 my very first green iguana (he wasn't very friendly) i had him for years and he never changed R.I.P iggy. while i had him i had two turtles a newt a firebelly toad and a salamander. that started me off after i got into fishing when i was about 7 i discovered this very large angry turtlt a snapper (i lived in canada) so i started catchin them and keeping them in a hugh 7ftx3ftx3ft aquarium from there on i was getting turtles a few boas some pythons corns tegu anything that had scales i wanted lol

Default my first reptile

the very first reptile i ever owned was when i was about 6 my very first green iguana (he wasn't very friendly) i had him for years and he never changed R.I.P iggy. while i had him i had two turtles a newt a firebelly toad and a salamander. that started me off after i got into fishing when i was about 7 i discovered this very large angry turtlt a snapper (i lived in canada) so i started catchin them and keeping them in a hugh 7ftx3ftx3ft aquarium from there on i was getting turtles a few boas some pythons corns tegu anything that had scales i wanted lol

like most other people on here i was young when it all started... for one fact i live in maine... alot of critters for the taking.. haha i used to have a few frogs and salamanders that i would find out back in the woods... it was fun.. untill i relized why i didnt have as many frogs and what not as i should have had... my first frog i got lasted a few years and it was eating everything else in the cage.. haha well i also had a turtle., then hamsters, gerbils, g. pigs. then there was a break for about 4-5 years. untill a few weeks ago... i went over to a "friends" house and he showed me the tegu he had... it wasnt doing to well skinny beyond belief, very flighty, i have now changed that. they didnt feed her enough. maybe 1-2 times a week.. if that... they didnt mist her cage at all, no uvb light, no calcium sups., and he told me that he wanted to sell it with the 40 gal tank stand and one light for 100 bucks so i jumped on it and now she is loving life. after my spending of prolly 150 bucks within 2 more lights and fixtures, new substrate, supplements, repti-aid shedding aid, all the stuff for it, then i started in on geckos as well i now have just one but i am going to get another soon, and beardies soon as well... great topic to have for a thread

I had my first Cornsnake at 12 years old.

I negotiate so long with my mother because she is scared to death of them.

I started by 1 and ofter I buy another one (albinos), after I buy a sand boa finishing with a Ball python.

However I prefer lizard...
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !