Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: What started it all for you with reptiles?

actually it was the first date I went on with my husband, we were out and about and he wanted to take me to this cool pet store and when we left I had 2 anoles. haha. It definitly spread from there, since then I've owned several differnt small lizards, anoles, grass lizards, house geckos, salamanders, all of those. Eventually I tried a Chameleon, I LOOOVed him I want another one if i ever can, I was just facinated with his tounge and his little feet... haha. anyway, after that I had a water dragon and thanks to not knowing what I was doing and not thinking to reasearch it online... he didnt make it :( so after he died, I just kept the 2 anoles I'd had FOREVER until they died 3 years later and decided maybe I should just cool it for a while. Well my husband had gotten in on the whole lizard thing, and we've got the Tegu now that he got 3 years or so ago. I guess it was love at first lizard. haha.
    :lol:

Kat what was or is your favorite pet so far that you had or have and why ?

My mates corn snake started it all off for me.. I loved it, and I wanted to get involved with reptiles so bad.

So i started off with a corn snake in a little plastic tub
    Then I got my two beardies which I plan to breed to pay for all my herps
    Then I got a milk snake.. I always wanted one since i saw them on tv
    Then I got my Iguana.. I wanted a bigger lizard that required more work and trust building

And this weekend Im getting a tegu!!

all of that from just one mate and his snake..

Now my dream job is to work with reptiles.. I did want to be a pilot but after being told that im short sighted and I have asthma.. well.. knowing that I could do another awesome job such as herp vet.. it kinda softens the blow

Still.. a part of me will always want to fly.. I love flying around in planes.. doing areobatics and stuff is just too cool!

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl
    Kat what was or is your favorite pet so far that you had or have and why ?
    Well I would have to say the Chameleon.. he was just so neat, I loved just letting him walk around on me in the summertime. I was facinated by his tounge too

I do like my husbands Tegu alot, Akiva, i think shes beautiful and so interesting, im sad we'll probably have to get rid of her

But I still think the Chameleon was my favorite so far

He looked liked this guy

I had one Chameleon looking exactly like this one. The Chameleon are one of the most beautiful lizard, they are good pet, but only for looking lol :lol:
    Ben
    0.1.0, 2007, Bearded Dragon (Uresaii)
    1.0.0, 1999, Hermann Tortoise (Tama-chan)
    0.1.0, 2007, Redfoot Tortoise (Kame-chan)

Got msn? If you want to talk to me just leave me a private message !

nice i have always liked them. i have just gotten a bearded dragon thats in really rough shape. but ill have it back up and running in no time
    0.1.0 Col. Tegu
    0.1.1 Arg. Tegu
    0.2.0 Leos
    0.0.1 Spotted Python
    0.0.1 Painted Turtle

I started keeping reptiles once I moved out of my parents house many years ago. Mom and dad did not like them but mom is into them now. She actually will hold a few of my snakes and has 2 beardied dragon's of her own.
    Education is Everything.......

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Herper for life

I started off at the age of 3 my dad was a snakeman catching rattlesnakes, copperheads and a complete nut. at 3 I keep turtles,salmanders and frogs. not much herps avaiable in 1970-1980s so you caught your own At 15 got my first snake a 8 foot retic python my mom was a crazy woman " YOU WANT THIS IN MY HOUSE" my dad ohh yes they are really tame he said" years went by I meant my wife 1995 moved out then I started keeping lizards mainly phelsuma (day gecko) Breeding alot Over 100 in 1996-7 also working with other geckos No rhacodactylus available at this time. also had my first Tegu in 1997 a 3 foot killing machine Gold Tegu It would run on its rear legs and jump and bite crazy but i loved it. Now I have a 4 year old daughter 2008 she is so much like me lol she has bearded dragons ,Geckos, uromastyx. even though they are daddys too. I bred rhacodactylus geckos for 5 years Crested,gargoyle leachies. selling 100 hatchlings a year to Pet shop/reptile dealers.also working Frilled dragons which I bred the first time this year. bearded dragons breeding limited numbers now. Tegus argentine B&W/red tegus Been working with them for 3 years I started working with them because of Bert Langerwerf Ive talked to bert for years after seeing a article in the vivaruim. 1998 and liked his approach on keeping lizards. also about 5 years ive been working volunteering at Clyde Peelings reptiland working with gators mambas ohh my lol worked doing field research on PA native herps timber rattlers ,wood turtles etc. part of my research is the reason wood turtle and box turtles are protected species now with NO open season, no collecting. sorry for the ramble lol
    HERPER 4 LIFE
    Jeff

woah jeff! thats quite a story!
    my mum was like
    "OMG YOU CANT HAVE A SNAKE ITS HORRIBLE ARRGH I NEVER WANT TO SEE IT"

..it was a baby corn snake.. lol

now, shes pretty fascinated by them, especially the Bearded dragons.. its like their her little babies and not mine lol

GOT_TEGUS01 Guest

Default Herper for life

my mom still dont like coming to my house...she was here the other day I walked passed her and put a bearded on her head...and my blue tegu "omega" climbed up her leg I thought my mom was going to s.....8O she said im glad you dont live at home and i say I glad too
    Herper4life
    jeff