Thread: *Confused!!*

Default *Confused!!*

I wasn't sure at first whether Dozer was hibernating or not. I had changed his tank and gave him extra substrate to dig in and made him the perfect place to hide. He started dissapearing for weeks at a time, coming out on the weekends to say hi.(this went on for about a month and a half) Then, He was begging to be fed one day so I gave him one mouse and he was happy and went back to sleep for 4 days before coming out to bask, then he went back to sleep for about 3 weeks.
    Now he's come out yesterday AND today and he's shedding! wtf? It looks like he's lost a little bit of weight.
    Should I assume he's not hibernating and resume feeding him? Or......?

Thanks for the help it's muchly appreciated

is his tail nice and fat? If so, I would not worry about the body part so much. The tegu will store all of that fat and calories into there tails.

Hopefully someone will give you better info on the subject.
    1.1.0 Snow boas
    1.0.0 albino boa
    4.2.0 salmon/Hypo boas
    0.1.0 DH sunglow
    0.1.0 BCI
    0.0.1 Anery corn
    0.0.1 Motley sunglow corn

0.0.2 Extreme giant tegu's
    1.0.0 BW tegu
    0.1.0 Blue Tegu
    3.2.0 beardies
    sandfire, snow, rankins, german giants

3.0.0 dogs : ChowChow and Shi Tzu's

Sounds like it is not able to go into full hibernation. Make sure that the temp is cool enough. In my experience if the temp is above 65 degrees it will not slow the metabolism down enough for a full hibernation. Also, when the temp is 65 or lower and the metablism drops your tegu should not show any signs of hunger or interest in food. For my tegus to successfully hibernate they also need total darkness and quiet. If mine are exposed to light or sound they will not nibernate. As mentioned, lower temps are key for slowing their metabolism.
    Be sure your tegu digests and passes the mouse you fed before attempting to hibernate it again. Any food or undigested matter in the tegus tract will rot and kill the animal during hibernation.

BTW... I do not hibernate my tegus in their enclosure since it is in a busy area of the house. I place them in giant tupperware bins with mulch and then place the conatiners in a closet in a back bedroom that is quiet and cool in the winter. This works good for my animals. I did cut some small holes in the lids of the conatiners for air.

Good luck!

E

eradi I was thinking about putting my tegus in large plastic containers also and putting them on the floor in a closet that is against the back of the house so it is colder than any other part of my house.
    Slayer has been trying to hibernate but I can't keep him cool enough with all the other reptiles in same room who are still awake.I am not using any extra heat in that room but the heat from the other cages are keeping it too warm.
    Sometimes I see him come out and walk around and get a drink,bask then go under again so a little afraid to lock him up in a box and put him away like a pair of shoes in case he wakes again. :wink:
    In two months he shed once and has barely eaten anything but still looks super healthy so he has been ready for this for a while.
    He is also SUPER Tame so hope he remembers that when he wakes.I miss him like crazy. :cry:

Brat!
    Tegu's are like potato chips,you can't have just one!
    I now have 4.

Hey SwtBrat,

As you know tegus hear and see well. They are like little kids, if there is something going on they want to know about it! My tegus did the same thing yours did when I tried hibernating them in a "public" area.
    You'll need to remove them from sight and sound and get the temps
    down as well. I live in Wisconsin so my back room stays cooler in the winter. Do you have a basement? Most basements are pretty cool, especially in the winter.

Your tegu will have the same temperment after hibernation. However,
    it will be groggy from the long sleep so take that into consideration.
    You know, give it time to wake up and come around. Mine took a week or so to become active again and start eating after hibernation.

E